PDA

View Full Version : Dunno what to do

beefcake
10/06/2003, 09:18 PM
I just checked my calcium levels and Alk levels they read 200ppm and 7dkh respectively. I regularly dose both yet my readings seem to keep lowering. I may as well not even dose it seems. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I use Seachem reef builder and Kent Marine liquid calcium by the way.

NewMariner
10/06/2003, 09:33 PM
How oold are you test kits? They could be giving you false readings.......

reef-man_d-man
10/06/2003, 09:34 PM
how is your magnesium level? also what corals do you have, and how much r u dosing?

beefcake
10/06/2003, 10:15 PM
My kits are about 6 months old. My calcium test kit is not one of the cheap ones but I question the accuracy of my tetra test alk kit. I do not test for magnesium.

beefcake
10/06/2003, 10:16 PM
My kits are about 6 months old. My calcium test kit is not one of the cheap ones but I question the accuracy of my tetra test alk kit. I do not test for magnesium. My corals are soft corals mostly. Xenia, mushrooms, toadstool, Hammer coral, 2 bta's, finger leather etc. Thoughts ?

beefcake
10/06/2003, 10:18 PM
My kits are about 6 months old. My calcium test kit is not one of the cheap ones but I question the accuracy of my tetra test alk kit. I do not test for magnesium. My corals are soft corals mostly. Xenia, mushrooms, toadstool, Hammer coral, 2 bta's, finger leather etc. I dose calcium once a week and alk once or twice a week. Thoughts ?

beefcake
10/06/2003, 10:25 PM
oops, sorry about the multiple posts. i kept making changes but the page was mad slow.

reef-man_d-man
10/06/2003, 10:34 PM
magnesium might be low, might need to add more often and might need new test kits you can take your water to the lfs and check to see if its your kits, asnd check to see if mg is low that might cause a problem(you wanna keep these three all in check).

Unfair Advantage
10/06/2003, 10:45 PM
Increase the dosage? You might want to post this in the chem forum for more help as well.

I don't know much about kalk, but that might also be beneficial in your case as well?

beefcake
10/06/2003, 11:05 PM
I use Kent Marine essential elements, the bottle says it has magnesium in it. Is this adequite ? I do not test for magnesium, what does it do ?