PDA

View Full Version : "Jumping" wrasse = stressful environment?

ejmeier
10/06/2003, 10:51 AM
I was looking at some of the smaller reef safe wrasse and also flasher wrasse and they look really great to me. My only problem is I don't really have any sort of tight fitting lid or canopy. I am planning for an open top tank.

Will these wrasse really jump out as they are known to do, or is it more or less only if they are stressed. I mean, if adequate space and shelter is provided, would they be "happier" and less prone to jumping?

64Ivy
10/06/2003, 11:08 AM
Mine jump because of a stressful enviornment...that enviornment taking the form of my Austrailian Psuedochromis who takes delight in 'running' any fish that is even remotely shaped like him. So along with plenty of hiding places, make sure your tank is devoid of aggressive, boisterious, or just plain evil (;)) fish.

I wouldn't make too many sudden moves in front of the tank either.

Seriously.

ejmeier
10/06/2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks.

I'm still unsure as to whether I'll be able to stomach putting a semi-rare $50 - 100 wrasse in an open top tank though.

I found it funny that liveaquaria.com says "These wrasses like to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is recommended." Really? So they like to jump? They jump all over the place just for the fun of it?

There has got to be an explanation for much of this behavior.:)