PDA

View Full Version : Revised Stock List!! UH OH!

Sting
10/04/2003, 11:12 PM
Uh-Oh. Yes, I know my last list was a little ambitious, but some of you might think I've crossed the line this time. This list is kinda crazy. But it covers all the colors, and as far as I know, all these species should be able to coexist with eachother. Here's the plan, well actually, I need help with the plan. I need suggestions, and help on the way I should add these fish. Here's my idea for now, in order of introduction.

1. Yellow Tang (AH! Well, I'll get one really tiny and switch him out when he grows a little bigger)
2. Strawberry Basslet
3. Flame Hawkfish
4. 2X Neon Gobies
5. Cherub Angelfish
6. Green Mandarin

Here is my deal with each fish that you might consider "problem fish".

Yellow Tang: Buy a smaller one and let it grow out, then exchange it at the LFS for another smaller one. I've seen it done in many 29G reefs and it's worked fine- I'm not really worried about this one here. I've read too many pointless debates over this subject, and I'm not going to get into an argument, although you are welcome to comment on your opinions)

Dwarf Angelfish: I compromised on this one. I'm going to get the Flame Hawkfish in place of a Flame Angelfish, and instead of a Coral Beauty to give my tank that purple/blue color, I can get the less risky Cherub Angel, which also stays smaller.

Green Mandarin: I will culture coepods and amphipods using a 10 G tank. I will have this system setup and functional weeks and perhaps months before I add the Mandarin, and I may even look at adding a HOB fuge. The Mandarin will not be added for a very long time. It's long term on my stock list. I want to make sure I will have a stable pod population, and a culturing system setup before I plunge into the committmentof successfully keeping this fish- which I am dedicated to.

Flame Hawkfish: I have a Cleaner Shrimp now, that I will keep to help out the Tang if he in fact comes down with ich. After I add the Hawkfish, I have strategically planned to add 2 Neon Gobies (virtually nothing to bioload) directly after the hawkfish in case the shrimp in devoured by his habitual instincts.

Strawberry Basslet: this fish should be fine, I'm not concerned with this one. In fact, I hope it will help eliminate my bristle worm population.

Overall, I will have to have to Nori Clips, and have plant matter available at all times. I will feed frozen brine, mysis, or DT's soaked with Selcon and/or Garlic every other day, and will add pods every other day when I add the Mandarin to the tank.

Corals is another time and another thread, but supplemental additives will also be added to enhance health of overall tank and fish species.

My protein skimmer will be an Aqua Remora Pro HOB (for space limitations) and if you need to know any other specs, feel free to ask, although some basic info is in my sig. The tank was started June 6th, 2003, and has been cycling, sitting, and preparing for "kick off" since then. There were some minor complications before, with fish deaths, but they were of course, taken care of and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge!

To begin though, I'd at least like to hear some opinions out there. For me though, I am pretty excited. I think I've covered all the basic colors and personalities/types of fish and I can't wait to get started!

Please, also, if you have advice or opinions, I'd also like to hear your experiences to support your advice. I've found many people like to make general statements without true experience, which can cause lots of problems here on the boards, and in the bobby overall.

THANKS!!! :D

Sting
10/05/2003, 04:08 PM
I'm going to buy a fish tomorrow so I need your help and suggestions on which one to get!!! Please I'd love to hear your suggestions and advice!

SurferDude771
10/05/2003, 08:56 PM
cherub angels consume pods also, so it will compete with the mandarin

Sting
10/06/2003, 10:30 AM
Oh- thanks for that piece of info- I had no idea. So what would you reccommend I do? Get a different angel, or what?

Thanks!

ChaosReefer
10/06/2003, 11:14 AM
When you get the mandarin stick it in a quarintine tank for a while with a minimal amount of live rock. Then take frozen brine shrimp (gut loaded or not doesnt matter) and dip it in ZOE, Selcon, and Garlic Extract. The result is big fat happy mandarins, with brighter colouration and less stress on your pod population. However once you put the mandarin into the main tank if you feed this way then you will need to net him and drop the brine into the net with him in it.

Tarasco1
10/06/2003, 12:20 PM
Be aware, the flame hawk may eat the neon gobies. Hawks are predators, and the gobies can be pretty small, so if it fits in the hawks mouth, it'll probably end up there.

Sting
10/06/2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys- and I really appreciate the Mandarin suggestions (I will definitely try that one out) and I'm so glad to know that the Flame Hawk might even go after the gobies! Should I add the Hawk after the gobies then, and make sure the Hawk is very small?

I am going to pick up my first fish today- which one should I buy? I was thinking the Tang first, so if he gets ich, it will go away before the other fish are added- or possibly the Cherub Angel, since they are pretty hardy and won't cause many problems.

For now though, I think I'll go with the Tang unless there are other recommendations?

fishermania
10/06/2003, 03:04 PM
Maybe look at the pygmy hawk. I think it only gets about 3 inches, and would bother you fish or larger shrimp.

Sting
10/06/2003, 05:35 PM
Hmm...sounds great! I'll definitely have to check out the Pygmy Hawk, does it stay that nice reddish orange color like the Flame Hawk though?

Tarasco1
10/06/2003, 06:41 PM
Nope. Check it out:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=200

Sting
10/06/2003, 08:02 PM
Hey, it does have a pretty awesome color pattern though! I'll have to see if my LFS carries them or not. Thanks for the suggestions- one concern though, they made it out to seem very aggressive??? What do you think? Do they normally cause problems?

SurferDude771
10/06/2003, 08:46 PM
angels need a more mature tank

SurferDude771
10/06/2003, 08:47 PM
sry, looked at your sig. 4months should be ok

fishermania
10/07/2003, 02:22 AM
I think your list looks pretty good. You may want to consider putting the Strawberry Basslet in a little later. They can be agressive, and will harass tankmates more if they are established and smaller fish are added later.

Tarasco1
10/07/2003, 11:03 AM
Sting-

Most hawkfish are aggressive, so I don't think that the pygmy is any different. They are predators, and like their space. It'll probably chase around some of your more docile inhabitants, but I don't think that it would be much of a problem. They stay pretty small, so hopefully you wouldn't lose your cleaner shrimp.