PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly for my Reef

Gools
10/04/2003, 09:03 PM
I want to add a butterfly to my tank. Anyone have a suggestion to which would be cautionable for a reef tank? Any stories or suggestions would be great. Thanks. Gools

DT's_Reef
10/04/2003, 09:07 PM
Copperbands are great for reefs provided your tank is large enough.

It helps to buy one that has good weight on it and is hopefully eating. Ask the store to throw in some frozen mysis as they'll starve on brine. If it eats mysis, then you're set.

However, many don't eat mysis right away and you need to train them on to frozen foods. Fresh whole clams are useful for this. They *love* clams. Just cut it open, leave it in the shell, and drag a razor over the meat lightly to make it easier for the fish to pick off strips of meat.

rhuzar
10/05/2003, 12:41 AM
Copperband is the only reef safe butterfly I know.

ozadars
10/05/2003, 02:54 AM
Long nose butterflies are a bit reefsafe too, but how big is your tank?

Gools
10/05/2003, 09:30 AM
I have a 180g and a 205g. With Hard and soft corals in them. I was also wondering how many I could keep in a tank? I've read that in the wild they mate for life. Can they be keep in groups, or pairs in the aquarium?

DT's_Reef
10/05/2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Gools
I have a 180g and a 205g. With Hard and soft corals in them. I was also wondering how many I could keep in a tank? I've read that in the wild they mate for life. Can they be keep in groups, or pairs in the aquarium?

Wow, very nice. I'd love to have a tank that large, but at $.19+ per kWH it costs too much to run (Southern California).

I've never seen a pair of copperbands for sale, but I've never really looked for them. I don't see why you couldn't keep a pair in a tank that large. I don't know about groups.

My dream butterfly is the Semilavartus, but these are best kept in a fish only tank from what I understand. These can be kept in small groups if introduced together.

ozadars
10/05/2003, 10:41 AM
I would recommend longnose butterfly. They are one of my favourite butterflies but sometimes they nip on xenias, zoos and clams... Dont know about if you can keep them in pairs but i dont like putting same fish in to the tank if i dont want to have babies...
My favourite is semilarvatus too BTW

glen talbott
10/07/2003, 10:06 PM
copperband is the only fish that could even be reef safe, but is anything reef safe.....i would be concerned for your inverts, and your zoos.... i personally would not take the chance on this fish i a reef tank, you know your budget, if it goes south on you, only you can make that call, do you ever see a copperband in a reef tank in your local stores.....there might be a reason for that either way.....i never have seen them in a reef store tank....food for thought....take care glen talbott

Real Reefs
10/07/2003, 10:12 PM
My CB is a perfect aptasia eating machine and does not bother my sps, lps or clams. I move the fish between my two tanks as it is real easy to catch out at night time. I hope to get a second CB soon as they are great to look at with great personality.

Leopardshark
10/07/2003, 10:53 PM
I have a copperband, long nose and a heniochus. The 3 of them are reefsafe and actually all of them are great citizens in my tank.
Good luck
Marco

wizardgus®
10/08/2003, 08:06 AM
The only thing I have seen my CBB nip is some Anthelia. It will decimate and little fanworm/featherdustrs you have though. That seems to be their preferred food IME.

ozadars
10/08/2003, 09:07 AM
Yes i think cbs are totally reef-safe, they sometimes nip on corals, very rare, when they are veru hungry... They will feather dusters but.

prezioso73
10/08/2003, 09:39 AM
Will a copperband usually get along with a yellow tang?

Leopardshark
10/08/2003, 10:48 AM
should be no problem

wizardgus®
10/08/2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by prezioso73
Will a copperband usually get along with a yellow tang?
Is this in a 55g ? I can almost guarantee there will be agression within 6 to 8 months. Problem is they are both open water fish and there is a similarity in body shape and size. I have problems with my CBB and Kole tang. The Kole usually being considered less agressive than the Yellow. HTH

mhltcob
10/08/2003, 04:56 PM
copperbands and long nose's can both be kept in groups. They arnt aggressive towards each other.

If this is for a 55 i agree not to put a copperband and yellow tang together

3.99AfterTaxes
10/08/2003, 05:28 PM
pyramid butterflies (hemitaurichthes .. something) are usually reef safe. i had a pair in my reef forover a year and they have not touched anything.

hollywd
10/08/2003, 09:46 PM
Copperbands sometimes like to pick at clams as well. If you have clams, I'd use caution.

Peter Schmiedel
10/09/2003, 08:55 AM
If you dont keep LPS you can also stock Chetodon kleinii.