PDA

View Full Version : Any body that is good with hard drives

alf3482
06/03/2001, 10:35 AM
I had some stuff given to me. I have a hard drive that is split into two partitions drive c is no problem but drive D said it could not be reformated. How can i get this erased so i can put a new windows 98 program on it? i can't load because there is an old 95 file still on drive D
thanks in advance.:blown:

Ophidia
06/03/2001, 03:34 PM
Did you try to delete the partition with D on it? Using FDISK, you have to delete the logical drive (D) before you delete the partition that contains it (the extended partition).
Did you have another OS on this partition at some point? If it is formatted NTFS (Windows NT/2000/XP professional) you will not be able to delete it with FDISK. ALso, if you had linux on that partition (which I doubt since you say it is drive D) the same problem would occur.
If you have only tried formatting it, and it won't let you, that is a little wierd. Unless it is your current system partition (the partition with your OS on it) then you will need to boot from a floppy to format it. Deleting the partition will also work in this instance but you will also need to do this from a floppy.
Chris

alf3482
06/04/2001, 11:34 AM
Thanks Chris i finaly did do an fdisk and deleted the partition. Now i have another problem. It had win 95 on it so i have totaly redone the hard drive with nothing on it went and set up a fat 32 partition for win 98 but now the thing locks up during the new install. Any ideas on that one? Thanks

Ophidia
06/04/2001, 05:54 PM
Does the install actually lock up or fails to start? Did you remember to format the drive?
Chris

alf3482
06/05/2001, 09:09 AM
i did a fat 32 partition then a format. The win 98 setup will start get thru about two screens then it will give me a setup erorr. and go back to an A:/ prompt. I have done this many times i ahve never had this kind of trouble, I'm dumb founded. I made sure there is no remains of any previous win files. I looked in the bios, this board shows no where to put in the type of OS like i have seen on the newer boards. Not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? thanks

Ophidia
06/05/2001, 03:54 PM
Is there anything on drive c: that needs to be eliminated? Something there could be causing the problem.
If possible, do an unconditional format on c: as well ( format c: /u )
and then try again.
hth
Chris