PDA

View Full Version : ebili mimic tang

vtsureshot
10/03/2003, 11:35 PM
i just got a 4 inch Ebili mimic tang today from the LFS. only $24 and its one of the more prettier tangs ive seen. it was the first time ive seen one up close. i havent heard much about them as to how they will do in the reef aquarium. can anybody tell me about some of its preferences and how it will fare in my 75 reef. i just dont want him picking at any of my lps. any feedback would be great
thanks
marshall

Conky
10/04/2003, 02:31 AM
Marshall,

This is the first thing I ran across.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=12782&genusname=Acanthurus&speciesname=tristis

(If this doesn't work, look up Acanthurs tristis on Fishbase.com)

I'm sure I'll find more in a few minutes...Says it only mimics as a juvenile...pretty ugly as an adult. $24? I'd say you're letting ZooQuatics down again :/ Just kiddin. Tell Mandy I said hi.

By the way, I got an interview at Houston Zoo next week for a Coral Reef Aquarist position! Not the greatest setups, but would be a good start...I think I could do a lot for the place. Wish me luck. I'll get back to you when I get some more info...

Go Hokies!

Conky
10/04/2003, 02:39 AM
BTW, I think this mimic is listed in Scott Michael's pocket guide...If I had to guess, it probably behaves like other Acanthurus tangs (ranges from Achilles/mean as crap to Convict/sweet like a puppy). My powder blue used to nip off the tips of my Euphyllia polyps from time to time...no real damage though...I still got rid of him.

vtsureshot
10/04/2003, 10:34 AM
thanks for the link man. ive put him in my ten gallon quarentine tank where my blue linkous is right now. my clarki began ripping his skin off the linkous very slowly till i could see his tentacles/feet from the outer part of his body. but im not making the same mistake and putting the tang in my 75 for about a month till i know everythings fine with him.
were working on setting up a reef club down here in blacksburg. matt anderson is helping put together some people. its cool getting free frags and advise from matt. seeing as your not around anymore.
i am working on a new tank setup right now for mandy. 38gallon full of strictly sps and clams. ive got a 250 watt blue wave ballast with 6500k iwaski bulb, supplemented by 2 actnic standard flourescents. well see how that works out in a week or so.

congratulations on getting a job interview. i wish you the best of luck. im sure wherever you go youll do great. that'd be awesome to work as coral reef aquarist. im jealous.. lol. keep me informed about the job. i hope you get it.
thanks again,
marshall

downset
10/12/2003, 11:21 PM
i had one for about 4 monthes and i could not get him to eat (only live foods) but they are a beautyful fish

vtsureshot
10/13/2003, 12:28 PM
im also having problems getting him to eat. so far ive tried, frozen emerald entrees, freeze dried ocean plankton, put in some live brime shrimp, regular flake food, romaine lettuce, and today im going to try some seaweed select green marine algae and maybe spray it with some garlic. he looks fine and all but id like to see him eat. i do see him picking around the live rocks, but i havent gotten him to feed direct. do you have any suggestions?

marshall

downset
10/13/2003, 01:18 PM
let him get adjusted for a few days and try live stuff he'll eat that if he gets hungry enough,then try to get him to eat nori good luck let me know how it turns out