PDA

View Full Version : How Much Shade from Tank Center Brace?

dmiannay
10/03/2003, 05:24 PM
(I originally posted this in the "Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" forum but there's a good bit less traffic there... so I reposted here.)

I just purchased a MH light kit from PremiumAquatics which includes three separate PFO 250W pendants for my Oceanic 135RR. The tank has a single center brace (bummer ) which will result in the center MH 250W pendant being right over it. The brace is (according to Oceanic) 18" long x 17" wide x 1/2 inch thick.

How badly will the center of this tank be affected by shade from the brace?

Thanks for your time!

Gudwyn
10/03/2003, 05:38 PM
I thought Oceanic used starphire glass for those center braces. Maybe I'm wrong. But if it is starphire glass then keeping it clean should result in fairly minimal amount of shading.

dmiannay
10/03/2003, 05:45 PM
I'll have to call about the Starfire... but that's a good thought! Thanks for the reply!

Anyone else?

mjw357
10/04/2003, 07:12 AM
yes, i thought oceanic used glass braces as well. I assume from reading your post that you don't have the tank yet?
Hmmm...17" wide? the ones I have seen are about 2-3" wide. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

dmiannay
10/04/2003, 07:37 AM
It interseting... really. I was on the telephone with a costomizing technician from Oceanic yesterday asking these very questions. He told me the brace was the dimensions I stated above and I was very surprised! That's a huge brace, but he stuck to his guns and reiterated it was 17" in width.

I wish there was someone out here with an Oceanic 135RR that could solve this dilemma, but I haven't run into anyone yet. I will be going to a LFS today... hopefully they will have one I can look at.

steve68
10/04/2003, 07:57 AM
i believe it is glass all u have to do is keep it clean u should have nothing to worry about

pr4mncplus
10/04/2003, 08:47 AM
Doug,
I think your dispursement of light into your tank from your lights will be just fine even with that center brace. What's the worse that could happen - you have a stripe down the center of your reef with no algea?:D

dmiannay
10/04/2003, 09:43 AM
Always the encourager, Dave :p

Thanks for weighing in... we just want this setup to be the best it can be! Like you said, it'll all be just fine!

wizardgus®
10/04/2003, 11:19 AM
My tank is a ViaAqua. The center brace is not even clear or glass. I do not notice much difference with a MH on each side. However, it is only about 3" wide. FWIW