PDA

View Full Version : Naso tang

maxpower2112
10/03/2003, 04:15 PM
I had a Yellow and a Naso tang in my 72 gallon Reef tank for about 6 weeks. Last night I noticed the Yellow tang was not doing to well. By this morning it was dead, and the Naso has also disappeared. I found the dead Yellow behind my live rock, but can’t get it out. The problem is the Naso is just hanging around the dead fish, and did not come out for food. What does this mean? Is there a reason to worry?

ozadars
10/03/2003, 04:24 PM
A naso needs min 150 gal and a yellow tang 100 gals but you have both in a 72. This can be the problem. Did/do they have ich on the body? how big are they and check your parametres

maxpower2112
10/03/2003, 05:36 PM
They did not have ich, and they are both juveniels not more than 3". They did not fight, but my consern is about the fact that the Naso is hiding and did not eat.

ozadars
10/03/2003, 05:40 PM
There can be lots of resons to die, high nitrate, amonia, nitrit, another fish, stress...

maxpower2112
10/03/2003, 05:50 PM
I personally think it died from intestinal blockege, I tested my water and it is fine. All the other fish and corrals look great. Exept for is the Naso, wich is hiding.

maxpower2112
10/05/2003, 02:06 PM
Sad to say the Naso also deid. I think its rather stange that both the fish died for no apparent reason.

ozadars
10/05/2003, 02:20 PM
There should be a reason that u dont know

dbulick
10/05/2003, 03:57 PM
Well I would say that alot of it has to do with your tank only being running for 6 weeks when you drop that many large fish in there. Just a guess.

maxpower2112
10/07/2003, 09:51 AM
No you misunderstud, my tank has been setup for 7 months, I had those two fish in for 6 weeks.

Peter Schmiedel
10/09/2003, 07:45 AM
If the both fish died at the same time, I dont believe that all water paramter have been Ok. Either one paramter was wrong and / or they had any infection. That they died that fast is indeed rather unusal for ich etc or for bad paramter. I assume you started with reef fish recently? Or did you have a reef tank before?

Some times you need quite some experience to "see" minor chnages in behavior and to relate them to a certain problem.

Anyway someone gave you wrong stocking recomendations as your tank is to small for both fish.

maxpower2112
10/11/2003, 10:11 AM
The fish were very small. I did notice change in there behavior, but thougt nothing of it, till it was to late. It really happen so fast, thats what really bothers me is the fact that it happen so suddenly.

Pike
10/11/2003, 06:24 PM
Like my buddy with 10 years of SW experience says: "you can do your best, but in the end, it's still a crapshoot"

Maybe it was parasitic, maybe it was cyanide poisoning (yes, after 6+ weeks), perhaps you were cranking the subwoofer too loud & stressed the little boogers out....

With experience, mortality rates will drop. You'll notice the subtle changes more readily & maybe prevent a death.

72 gallon too small? Is a 150 more appropriate? Well, if I were a tang I'd sure prefer the ocean over either :/

Try again. A little bit more slowly maybe this time :)

j.p.

reese3687
10/12/2003, 01:51 PM
ozadars doesnt now ny thing about tangs i have kept 6 difreny tajng specires. regurment nas o is 120 yelow 70 but u can keep than in a 55 if ther esmall enough and have open spae c to swim

Anemone
10/13/2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by reese3687
ozadars doesnt now ny thing about tangs i have kept 6 difreny tajng specires. regurment nas o is 120 yelow 70 but u can keep than in a 55 if ther esmall enough and have open spae c to swim

Please try and offer your advice without insulting other posters.

Why the tangs died will be impossible to figure out at this point. My advice would be to limit yourself to a single tang in a tank of that size (no matter how small the individual fish). These fish can be very disease prone, and with more than one, they can stress themselves into a disease outbreak (along with the other possibilities, like cyanide poisoning).

FWIW,
Kevin

Geepers Creepers
10/13/2003, 10:58 AM
I may be because of cyanide poisoning.

ozadars
10/13/2003, 11:09 AM
reese3687, if you want to make comments about someone please do it w/o writing as a reply or use Private Message and first learn how big do tangs get and their needs like how much space do a tang needs... you can start learning this by reading all old post on this board about tangs or talking to a tang expert... Most people will tell you that tangs need much more space

BrianD
10/13/2003, 04:05 PM
Slow and steady wins the best reef ;)

Although pin-pointing (pinpointing?) a cause is difficult at best with the information given, you are at an immediate disadvantage when you stock heavily. A kole or yellow tang would be ok for a 75 gallon tank, but a Naso is just too darn big and active.

Brian