PDA

View Full Version : Kalk doser vs. Ca reactor

jiminy_crime
10/03/2003, 01:10 PM
Are both of these methods of introducing Ca to a tank trying to achieve the same thing? My understanding is that a Ca reactor basically differs from the doser in that: it costs more, is more convenient, will save money in the long run, and last does a much better job of keeping a system balanced. Is this close or am I way off?

moonpod
10/03/2003, 01:28 PM
You can't get as much calcium into the system w/a nilsen or a kalk doser as you can w/a calcium reactor. In reality the two systems actually compliment each other. If you don't have horribly high calcium demands, the nilsen reactor will be enough and will give you all the benefits of kalkwasser addition. The calcium reactor works nice when you have heavy demands--using the two in conjuction works really well as you never have to worry about your pH (Ca reactor will push it down, nilsen will push it up).

AgentSPS
10/03/2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by moonpod
You can't get as much calcium into the system w/a nilsen or a kalk doser as you can w/a calcium reactor. In reality the two systems actually compliment each other. If you don't have horribly high calcium demands, the nilsen reactor will be enough and will give you all the benefits of kalkwasser addition. The calcium reactor works nice when you have heavy demands--using the two in conjuction works really well as you never have to worry about your pH (Ca reactor will push it down, nilsen will push it up).

Well said! I have had tremendous results ever since I started dosing kalk in conjunction with my calcium reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/03/2003, 02:47 PM
I don't agree that CaCO3/CO2 reactors are less expensive, either in the long or short run, but they do have some advantages (and disadvantages).

This article compares the advantages and disadvantages of the various balanced addition methods, including CaCO3/CO2 reactors and limewater (kalkwasser):

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I also agree that the combo is a good one.

jiminy_crime
10/03/2003, 03:08 PM
The whole reason for my question and lack of understanding is that I am interested in building a DIY model of a reactor but do to funds right now ( I am a college student) and the lack of someone to teach me (except what I learn on here) I was wondering if I could just use a kalk doser on a 55 for some hardy sps. and be fine?

jiminy_crime
10/03/2003, 03:09 PM
Also what is a nilsen reactor?

moonpod
10/03/2003, 03:10 PM
a nilsen reactor is a kalkwasser reactor. A chamber that you fill w/kalk, typically inline w/your autotopoff. The kalk gets agitated periodically to maintain the saturation. As your autotopoff kicks in, fresh water from the resevoir goes into the reactor, kalkwasser gets displaced into your tank as a topoff.