PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyanea)

johnw
10/03/2003, 06:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone has ever had or seen Caribbean Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyanea) Note that this species is much different in colouration than the typical blue-green chromis.

j_c_a
10/03/2003, 08:44 AM
I've seen lots of 'em diving of St. John. I've never seem them in a LFS. Do note that those get a little bigger than green chromis.

MiddletonMark
10/03/2003, 08:56 AM
Saw a couple in my friend's tank last night. Though as he goes to all the big conferences [IMAC, MACNA] and knows a ton of folks in the hobby ... not sure if they're commonly found.

Sure are pretty though.

achillestang2002
10/03/2003, 09:15 AM
I work part time at a LFS. We get them in periiodically - maybe two to three times a year. We have tried different suppliers but it definitely seems they ship poorly - 50% mortality rate in the 1st week. They are a cool looking fish and look great in schools. If you find them somewhere, make sure you check on how long they have been in the store.

Gary Majchrzak
10/03/2003, 09:21 AM
These are really feisty Chromis from the Atlantic. High on the aggression disposition scale for Chromis. It must be the time of year for a shipment of these guys again, seems like everyone has them available right now.

johnw
10/03/2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone.

Can anyone comment about feeding - I've read/heard that they need frequent feedings lke anthias.

As far as aggressiveness - I have a yellow tang, a maroon clown, and a coral beauty angel - all mature size. Should I have any concerns? Tank is 48"L x 18"D x 22"H. I'd likely get a group of 3. Admittedly their mature size of 5" (according to what I've read)could become a problem.

Achilles - Thanks for the tip on shipping - my LFS would bring these guys in on special order from his wholesalers. I'll pass on the concern and see if he'll bring them in and hold them for a week before I buy.

achillestang2002
10/03/2003, 03:59 PM
You shouldn't have any concerns with aggressiveness with the group you are putting them in with. They do prefer frequent feedings - but 2 to 3 times a day will work. They particularly like mysis shrimp (at least the ones we get that do well). I would imagine that they will like cyclop-eeze as well. Good luck with them!!

JonL
10/03/2003, 07:29 PM
Cool fish I once saw one in some guys 200 + tank.
How big do they get. I wonder how it would get along with my fire fish (probaly wouldent)

zachfishman
10/04/2003, 10:06 AM
They get larger than the blue green chromis, up to 4". Mine isn't too aggressive. I have it in a 20g nano with a blue green, the blue green is the boss.