PDA

View Full Version : About to start

akreefer
10/02/2003, 07:15 PM
Ok im about to start my 72 reef tank and wanted to go over my list of stuff before i FINALLY get to start.

3 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 1200 (295 gph)
Reef Crystals Sea Salt (200 gallon mix)
Seachem Marine Basic Kit
High Precision Hydrometer
Big Digital Temp Alert
TEbo Jäger Heater (250 watt)
AquaC Remora Pro(w/pump)
120 lbs of assorted LR(3 kinds)
1 400 watt MH (will eventually upgrade)
4 inch DSB

ill be cureing the live rock in my new tank so for the next 4-8 weeks (while cureing) can u think of anything i may need? and what about after? when do i need to start testing for calcium and other reef elements? will i need to add any supplements while cureing? if not when do i? i know thats alot of questions but better safe than sorry. i want all my fish and coral to be happy.
thank you all very much.
brad

cisco
10/02/2003, 08:50 PM
Hy Brad
It looks good, does it get real cold wear you are because if it does then the 250w heater is up on its top limets, ok whyle the light is on but ill be working hard at nights IMO.
as for ofter calcium check after cycle is good that way you know were you are but it want get used up much until you add some corals, you only have to keep and eye out for PH and KH whyle getting the rock to cycle and ofcourse amonia, NO2 and latter No3. you may need some buffers to adjust your PH and KH.
hope this helps.
all the best cisco

Stretch
10/02/2003, 08:57 PM
if you can buy a refractometer than the hydrometer, They are alot more acurrate. And not all that much more you can get one at about 40 bucks + shpping

akreefer
10/02/2003, 08:58 PM
thanks for your advise and i do have another heater i forgot to list its the same kind....please everyone keep that advise coming
brad

bachtor
10/02/2003, 08:59 PM
second the refractometer as said. $40 on ebay. Also, consider an ro/di unit. You can get those of ebay for about $100 as well.

akreefer
10/02/2003, 09:03 PM
is a refractometer hard to use? i have never dealt with them but if there better im all for it.
thanks all
brad

Stretch
10/02/2003, 09:10 PM
not at all just a few drops on the prism look in the eye peice, find out your SG. Your will have to calibate it when you first get it, with either a solution which you can buy as well or distilled water

bachtor
10/02/2003, 09:11 PM
very easy. Just calibrate with distilled water. Once calibrated, then place two drops of tank water on the prism and hold up to the light, takes about 10 seconds. You're eventually going to need one if you ever have to QT fish and want to do hyposalinity treatment.

Got mine from ebay, and happy with it.

akreefer
10/02/2003, 10:31 PM
ok im sold on it. refractometer it is. any other suggestion?
brad

dkh0331
10/03/2003, 04:49 AM
Brad,
Looks like you are well on your way. Good move on getting the refractometer - http://www.diyreef.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21

You may want to also look at a pH meter. Not needed, but it's a nice to have.

During your cycle, you do want to maintain your pH, Ca and Alk levels. Because I had not figured out how I was going to drip my kalk, I used the ESV B-ionic 2 part when I was cycling. Simple and easy.

Not sure how much heat your 400W MH will add to your tank, but you may want to at least think about how you will address that issue if it does happen. I bought a $5 clip on fan and have it blowing on my sump. No problems since I did that with heat.

And if you are buying uncured rock, which I did - lots and lots of aroma candles. :D

Good Luck!!!

HTH

David