PDA

View Full Version : Will a BTA eat fresh water ghost shrimp?

TIGER SHARK
10/02/2003, 06:44 PM
Is it ok for the BTA to eat these if it will? Just looking for a meal thats more entertaining than dead krill for when I have guests over :D

BonsaiNut
10/02/2003, 08:06 PM
I would assume so, though I have never tried it.

Back when I had larger adult clowns that would feed their anemone, I used to dump feeder guppies into my reef. The clowns would hunt them down, grab them, and haul them back to the anemone. It was a LOT easier than buying, storing, and cutting up fresh fish.

absolut
10/02/2003, 08:11 PM
Wouldn't the feeder guppys just immediately float or sink if dropped into SW??? That also has to go back to the topic of the lionfish/goldfish debate where FW fish dont provide the right nutrition for SW species...right??

TIGER SHARK
10/02/2003, 08:20 PM
I tried a guppy before but the BTA didnt seem too interested in eating it. FW fish will last for a couple minutes in SW, at least the goldfish would when I used to feed my lion. I know you are right about goldfish not providing proper nutrition, not sure about guppies tho.

supernip
10/02/2003, 11:59 PM
ive tried. it doesnt work. the shell is too hard and they move too fast. they just get out of the anemone

BonsaiNut
10/03/2003, 10:08 PM
Some freshwater fish will live indefinitely in saltwater (for example, mollies). Guppies will live for a half hour or more. My anemones didn't seem to complain one bit - they certainly ate them fast enough.