PDA

View Full Version : Need help Understand MH lighting

rooz69
06/02/2001, 01:14 PM
I have a 50 gallon tank which I would like to add a 250 watt
10 000 K light to. (unless there is a better option)

I also plan on buying a larger tank one day (in the next couple years) in the 6 foot long range. So I would like to option to add another 1 or 2 MHs in the future.

My plan once I upgrade tanks is to use 2 to 3 MH with NO lights as actinics which I belivie are the blue lights.

Does this seem right to you or am I going about this all wronge.

My problem is that when I went to look at buying MHs there were so many options I didnt understand what I was even looking at.
I went to marinedepot and it seems that you have to buy all the parts sepertaly and there are so many models I dont know what to choice from. I just want one single MH. I dont want one of those compete set ups with built in VHOs PCs or whatever.
Just a MH.
Can someone please tell me what it is im looking for.
Thanks
JOSH

mwm6
06/02/2001, 01:32 PM
Here ya' go Rooz.

Marine depot offers the same, you have to piece it together like you said though.

http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=l_sl&item=MHFR_RFSM25010&type=store

KenH
06/02/2001, 01:41 PM
Hi Josh,

Marine Depot is a good choice to buy from.

I would recommend one of the PFO ballast setups. You can get either a single or a dual ballast for $90 or $143. You want the one without EYE or HQI appended. EYE is for the Iwasaki 6500K lamp and the HQI is for 20K double ended lamps. If you go with the dual now, you can add a 2nd lamp later cheaper than you can if you buy another ballast.

You will also want an AC cable / socket / reflector setup. Their basic Reef-flector w/ socket assy for $39 is fine. If you want to do something different for the reflector, you can just get the socket and cable for $19. You will need one for each lamp you want to run.

And of course you will want a bulb. Their 250W 10K is $99. You want to specify the single-ended bulb, not the double-ended.

The 250W 10K choice is a good one if you like a nice white light. The 250W Iwasaki gives you a little more output, but is not quite as white and seem to vary a lot in color. Some people love them, some hate them. I am a 10K fan myself. If you are seriously thinking SPS corals and you provide good cooling in your hood, you might think about going with the 400W version instead. If you are mainly interested in LPS / soft corals, stick with the 250.

If your tank is 4' long, you might consider two 175W 10K lamps instead to give more uniform light coverage.

Hope this helps,
--- Ken

Tadashi
06/02/2001, 02:26 PM
Get the dual PFO. I had that with just one bulb running on my 12-gal. Then I was able to use both bulbs later for my 55-gal.

I have two 6500K MH 250-watt and one 12000K 250-watt MH above my 55-gal. Plus 2 super actinic VHO. I think the VHO make the corals look better but they like the 6500K bulbs better.

When I move the lights to my 155 I will hook up the other 12000K bulb.

rooz69
06/02/2001, 07:22 PM
any other ideas:)

3_high_low
06/02/2001, 07:59 PM
Rooz, I agree with these guys. Good info!
Another thing to consider is if you want the parallel or perpendicular reflectors. In my opinion the perpendicular design sends more light into the tank. Question is if your tank, and your future upgrade tank, are wide enough front to back.
Good luck!

Tadashi, how'd you get 3 mh over a 55? No crossbar?

BTW, my 2 250w 10k MH's, PFO parallel reflectors, and dual PFO ballast are on the way from Marine Depot. Never had MH before! I'm stoked!:D

rooz69
06/02/2001, 10:38 PM
I was not planning on putting 3 Mhs on my 50 gallon tank.
I was just going to add one maybe two. Then when I upgrade my tank ill look at getting a 3rd.
Thanks for all your input guys.
helped out alot