PDA

View Full Version : Anthia in BAD BAD mood

wady
10/02/2003, 05:17 AM
Help! I have an Anthia {pic attached} which I've had for some time. On the whole he/she has been a great fish to keep. However, I believe he has out grown my tank and needs feeding more often than the other tank mates.
Feeding him more doesn't seem to calm him down any and my last water test showed a spike on both the nitrite and nitrate tests. My LFS says this could be due to overfeeding. My biggest worry is he seems to be getting grumpier by the day. He is bullying everyone else in the tank including my Foxface who is twice the size and venomous! {He's a wimp tho}
I have decided with saddness to let him go. My LFS said they will take him, although reluctantly.
Now to my problem...
I CAN'T CATCH THE BUGGER!!
Have been trying for last hour and half to out smart him to no avail. I'm also concerned because everyone else in the tank is in need of valium due to his bad mood without a big white net appearing in the sky. I'm more stressed than they are I think! lol
Any good ideas anyone. If he doesn't come out today I think my 2 clowns, foxface and another Anthia {diff type} will jump out the tank. All of them have happly offered themselves for capture this morning to get away from him.
HELP PLEASE

Julio
10/02/2003, 07:48 AM
He is probably a male, do you have any other anthias in the tank? Somtimes adding females will cause it to difuse the agression, this usually happens when you only keep one of the anthias, this is one of the reason why is better to keep them in small schools. Although they do require frequent feeding, they only really need it in small portions, have you tried setting up an aoutmatic feeder?

ozadars
10/02/2003, 10:00 AM
Anthias gets agressive when they are not haremed. You should buy around 4-5 or more female ones so he will calm donw i think

Zepplin
10/03/2003, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your immediate troubles wady, but regardless of the circumstances under which we meet- WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL!

Although I can completely agree with Julio and ozadars about the calming affects of "hareming" a disgruntled male anthia, I would say this is not the best option in your particular circumstance.

Anthias aren't the the most forgiving fish, and actually depending on species can get relatively large. If you're already experience water quality issues, adding more fish will likely compound your problems. A 55 is less than ideal for a harem, especially considering your current stock list.

As far as catching your fish, I have found that "night hunting" sometimes meets with more success. I get a flashlight, and shine it in the direction of the fish desired. This blinds them, and they never see the net or other means entrapment coming. There are various other acrylic traps which I've seen others post, but unless you know someone who owns one, or a shop which sells them, it may not be of much use to you. If you're willing to wait a little you could probably procure one online in a short period.

I'll look for a website which advertises the traps, (I know I've seen them, just can't remember where) and I'll post them for you tomorrow if I have any luck.

One question; are you using RO water?

-Meg :)

Julio
10/03/2003, 06:08 AM
any major fish supplier carries the traps, marine depot, pet whare house just to name a few, i still think that you will have better success though catching the fish at night rather then with a trap though, I have found taht these traps dont' work for anthias since they seem to be a little smarter than the average fish.

wady
10/09/2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone. Unfortunately haven't been able to read most recent replies until now. All interesting reading tho. Yes he's still in there!! lol
Thankyou Zepplin also for your info. I will try your method with the tourch. Although I will have to be quick after lights out because he rests in the caves. Even had someone from LFS come round {which was really nice of them. No charge} to have a go and failed. I'm worried I'm now stressing others more than he was. Yes Zep, I always use RO water. I've since added a protien skimmer which the man from fish shop gave me. It's only a couple mths old and off one of his tanks at home. Cool Guy eh??
I let you know when and how and if I win.:mad:
Thank you
Wady

ozadars
10/09/2003, 01:41 PM
good luck Wady