PDA

View Full Version : Protesting my Petco

ArcEyedHawk79
09/30/2003, 04:11 PM
Hi all, its me again...
I had a very irritating experience while visiting the Petco in Deptford NJ.
I'm far and away no expert, but today I got to see my first up close view of what brook, ich, and fin rot look like. Very obvious examples on orbic bats and rabbitfish. It was very sad.
What makes me angry was when the salesperson asked me if I needed any help I said that the fish are noticably ill in the saltwater tanks and specified which fish were the worst off. (The poor orbic bats had big chunks of white blotches all over them and tattered fins (and heaving incredibly) and the rabbit fish had the stringiest white poop I've ever seen on a fish. :( )
His answer? He shrugged and walked away from me without saying a word. :mad2:
I hate to go on a rant here, but I feel horrible when I have a fish die in my tank. Here I am taking a fish and basically playing god with them. Religious comments aside here, (and I am sorry if I offended anyone with that statement) if I am these creatures' "god" then I want to be the best one I can be. I can't imagine working in a pet store and not caring about the creatures that are literally trapped in tank (that is way too small.) People would be up in arms if a puppy or a kitten was that sick and being ignored.

I guess I should take this experience as a learning experience with fish diseases, and take note not to shop at that Petco anymore. :mad:
Anyone else have any bad experiences with Petco?

asmujica
09/30/2003, 04:16 PM
Why don't you get a part time job there taking care of the fish?

ArcEyedHawk79
09/30/2003, 04:17 PM
I would love to but since I'm a full time student I can't commit to the hours you would need to really take proper care of the fishies :)

Boxingcrab
09/30/2003, 04:44 PM
Speak with the manager if that doesn't work go corp with it.

nic-bass
09/30/2003, 05:45 PM
Actually, my petco moves to a location and renovated, and they are pretty decent, esp. with their sw tanks, even though they dont have too much sw fish.
I'm quite happy with em, until they let the tanks and fish go, which i hope they wont do, like they did the last place...

cmiannay
09/30/2003, 06:16 PM
Just my .02,

You're not playing God, you're just being a caretaker/steward of God's creatures. We all are. And it sounds like you are doing a good job. ;) And I agree, you should report those horrible conditions to someone who cares and can do something about it. You would be negligent NOT to report it.

Blessings!

Ryan
09/30/2003, 06:20 PM
I recently spoke with a Petco employee who stated that : It is actually company policy that NO employee is allowed to quarantine or euthanize any fish, no exceptions.

Euthanize, I understand. QUARANTINE? Why would that be a policy? You'd think that eliminating losses would be financially smart.

Rich the Newb
09/30/2003, 06:29 PM
My g/f worked at a Petco in Southington, CT some years back. The only thing they would treat with would be coppersafe, if coppersafe doesn't fix it they don't care. The small animals/reptiles had a quarantine area in the back but the fish did not. They would just rot away and slowly die in the display tanks. Kind of sad that a company that preaches kindness to animals is so damn cruel. Too bad we can't bring the animals to someone who will give them proper care and firebomb the stores..... :(