PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size for these fish???

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Everyone!
I'm interested in knowing how many people have some or all of these exact fish and how they do together...........Any tips for me with these fish? should there be any problems...I also want opinions for what size tank would be recommended for the follwing fish....how much space are they gonna need?

2 ocellaris clowns
2 neon gobys
1 purple firefish
1 black cap basslet
1 coral beauty dwarf angel
1 yellow tang

Thanks in advance guys........any neat experiences with any of these fish also please feel free to share.....I'd love to hear some stories!...thanks again...Megan

nic-bass
09/29/2003, 08:09 PM
i see u have 30 gall. down in your sig., that leaves out the tang, i know...

o wait, u want to know a good size for them. yellow tangs can go in a 55, but might have to be moves when they get older, with 70 gall. being best.
i think everything else would work in a 55 gall., but a 75 would be nice, not sire about the angels though

bennerkla
09/29/2003, 08:10 PM
clowns-30g+
gobys-not sure, I'd say 30g+ but that's just a guess
filefish-70g+
Basslet-30g+
Coral Beauty-40g+
Yellow Tang-90g+

These are all my opinions, but they are accurate too.

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 08:18 PM
yeah I'm not using a 30 gallon!..thats my freshwater tank....LOL..

Well anyways I was originally thinking about a 75 gallon RR Oceanic tank... since the gobies and firefish are small and the clowns don't need much space..so that comes down to the basslet, angel and tang.
so now (because of them) I think I need more space .......I will advance my set up when I have fish that out grow it......I love my fishes!......
but for now I'm just trying to find out whats best......thanks for your reply......but many more replys are welcome! ~ MEGAN~

bennerkla
09/29/2003, 08:21 PM
No Prob :)

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 08:24 PM
I noticed you said 90+ for the tang...I agree ! Anyone got any ideas for me I'm into the OCeanic RR Tanks.....they don't come in 90 gallon....(which is what I thought about) so for now I had just gone down to the 75 G....should I go for something bigger..or just go with the 75?...... I guess i'm just looking for some opinions here.....the only reason I'm reluctant to go bigger.. is because I'm afraid the parentals are gonna freak!lol..Thanks Guys ~MEGAN~

bennerkla
09/29/2003, 08:27 PM
a 110g is a foot longer in lenth; 5 feet compared to 4, which is CRUCIAL for tangs. Just get the 110, you'll thank me later ;)

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 08:31 PM
so is 5 feet long..18 inches wide...right? and how tall?

eianson
09/29/2003, 09:04 PM
Blinkgyrl2987,

Bigger is always better, but before you start thinking too big, consider the amount of weight your floor can support. If you are on the basement level than you are probably OK with any size. If you are on a second floor or higher, than you need to be really careful where you place the tank (joist direction, load bearing walls, etc). If you think you parents will freak at a 110 gallon tank, just wait until it crashes through their floor.

I didn't consider this until after I bought all my stuff. I had to relocate the tank. It worked out fine, but I went through alot of angst planning the location.

Eric

Alberio
09/29/2003, 09:07 PM
I think a 75 would be fine for the 8 fish you want to keep. Good luck.

mjd

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks A bunch guys...yeah I'm getting ready to move..I plan to have the tank in the basement ...( the best place to view it....) it also helps that I have a sink in the opposite part of the basement..(it will be nice to RODI my watter there...plus water changes and top off and all that!) I got it all figured out!...Well mostly...any more advidce...stories to tell???! Thanks again Megan...so 75 enough for now?...the 110 is gonna up the price..I'm already looking at nearly 1,000 $ for the tank stand and canopy alone!.....the RR Oceanic tanks are expensive... but from what I've heard worth the money.

eianson
09/29/2003, 09:35 PM
I don't have any experience with Oceanic (I've also heard they are great), but my AGA 75G RR is really nice. I would consider a 125 AGA RR over the 75G Oceanic, simply because you will not have as many fish limitations. In my 75G, my stocking list went from a Blue Tang, to a Yellow Tang, to a Kole Tang. The majority opinion (not trying to start a Tang police thread) is that a Kole is the only tang suitable for a 75G.

Eric

BTW....I see you are from Maryland. Check out Wally's Aquarium (in Northern, VA) for tanks/stands. They have some of the best prices around. Tom, the owner, is pretty good to deal with.

Marcus K
09/29/2003, 09:36 PM
My tank is a 90Gal and I do love it. I find it to be a great size to look at. I seem to enjoy the fish a bit more and would love to have a Emperor Angel as the center piece. To have a Angel I will have to upgrade to somthing near 200Gal. If possible try and get the 110Gal tank if that is the size Oceanic makes. I have looked at a couple of Oceanic tanks and would have to agree they are worth the money. I have read many different size requirements hear for the Yellow Tang, just remember the larger the tank the happier he/she will be. I found that it is best to add the Tang last as they can beat up new fish. Not sure if anyone has told you that yet. They also like to eat none stop, I used a veggi with some nori that I picked up at the superstore in the Asian section.
Good luck. Marcus

Blinkgyrl2987
09/29/2003, 09:40 PM
YOu have all three of those tangs in a 75 gallon? or a 125? Just wondering.... just curious..but not because I want to keep all of them!......I dunno this is my first tank....I want to stick with the first I have picked out the best I can.........if I ever want more fish than that I can always just have fun decorating with new corals......I'm not gonna keep on squeezing fish in there...I wouldn't want to be crowded if I were a fish either!!!!! I'll check that place out though.. thanks! ~MEGAN~

eianson
09/29/2003, 09:49 PM
No, no, no. I don't have any yet. I have a 75G tank. I originally wanted a Blue (tank to small). Then I said, "OK, a Yellow" (nope....too small). So, now a Kole is on my list.

Eric

Diehl
09/29/2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Blinkgyrl2987
I noticed you said 90+ for the tang...I agree ! Anyone got any ideas for me I'm into the OCeanic RR Tanks.....they don't come in 90 gallon....(which is what I thought about) so for now I had just gone down to the 75 G....should I go for something bigger..or just go with the 75?...... I guess i'm just looking for some opinions here.....the only reason I'm reluctant to go bigger.. is because I'm afraid the parentals are gonna freak!lol..Thanks Guys ~MEGAN~

I have a 90gal. and the only difference is the hight of the tank. My tank is 24" high but everything else is the same as a 75gal. So your a go for the Yellow Tang:D

Microcosmos
09/30/2003, 01:42 AM
75 gallons is fine for all of the fish you mentoned...my dad has a yellow tang, a maroon clown, four chromis and a neon dottyback (plus assorted inverts and lots of LR) in a 2-yr-old 55 gallon tank. I'd recommend a DSB (4-6" fine playsand with a few handfuls of live sand) and LOTS of LR (worth every penny), then let it all cure for at least a month, then add the fish one every two weeks (except the clowns they should be added at the same time cuz they'll fight unless they're mated, and the gobies cuz they're tiny). I'd look for juveniles for the clowns and tang, which will give you several years to watch them grow, but the ones you've chosen shouldn't outgrow your tank. You'll still have room for some peppermint shrimps, hermits and snails, an emerald crab or two, and a brittle star! (you've chosen reef-safe fish, so the next step is a full MH-10,000°K/PC-actinic lighting system and some corals! your parents may make you contribute to the electricity bill though)

DaveJohnson
09/30/2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Blinkgyrl2987
so 75 enough for now?...the 110 is gonna up the price..I'm already looking at nearly 1,000 $ for the tank stand and canopy alone!
Check out www.tenecor.com

A 125L (6 ft long, a yellow tang would appreciate it) is $671 plus about $100 delivery depending upon where you live. Building a stand is easy, about $60 worth of lumber and a few hours labor. Canopies retain heat, gotta think about that. I prefer to run my tanks w/out tops and pendant type lighting.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson