PDA

View Full Version : naso tang...

Frankysreef
09/29/2003, 06:15 PM
Hi all, I have a 135 gal reef that I am thinking about getting a naso for.

I currently have 1 rabbitfish, 1 blue tang, 2 dwarf angels, and a brazialian gramma.

I have 180 lbs of live rock, perfect water parms. Some nice pieces of coral, and a hawaiian red fern plant.

The plant is getting big ( about the size of a football ), the blue tang and the rabbit munch on it once in a while, but it grows just a little faster than they eat it.

Would a naso tang eat this plant too? How much would it eat? Would it destroy the plant or just munch it like the other fish.

Do you guys think he is a good fish for my tank?

Lighting 2 175 mh 10k 2 vho blue actinic
salt 1.024
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
calc 480
alk 9
kh 3.43
ph 8.2

thanks

Agu
09/29/2003, 07:07 PM
I'm not familiar with a "Hawaiian Red Fern Plant" but I think you could have a problem with a naso. If the naso likes it at all, and ime nasos never met a macroalga they didn't like, the plant will be eaten. What you'll end up with will be a eating, pooping, growing machine that will quickly outgrow your tank and degrade water quality in the process.

jmo,

Agu

Frankysreef
09/29/2003, 10:10 PM
Are they pigs or something?

The rabbit and the blue tang munch it, but seem to prefer the nori actually...

It seems they eat it if there is nothing else to eat. Maybe it tastes bad?

It would be nice to hear from someone that has a red fern and some tangs....

Agu
09/29/2003, 11:04 PM
They're pigs, or something similar.

And a great fish and pet, and they eat macros other tangs won't touch.

Besides, with another tang and rabbitfish and 180# of live rock you really are pushing the space issue in a 135 gallon tank. Sorry if that's not the response you wanted..............

jmo,

Agu