PDA

View Full Version : Who gets a check?

hesaias
05/31/2001, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know what qualifies a taxpayer for one of those 95 million refund checks?
Id like a heads up if one is to be had, and I also like not to get my hopes up if I aint gettin squat

6-line
06/01/2001, 12:29 PM
Hes,
I believe everyone qualifies who paid taxes.
I believe married w/o kids is $500 and with is $600. I believe single people get one too, but the max is $300 (I think, can't recall).
Anyhow, those amounts are the max. Obviously, if you're married with kids andtaxed $23.000, you won't be receiving a check for $600, probably somewhat less. The maximum is $600 whether you made $60,000 or $250,000. I'm not for sure what the bottom minimium income for the $600 is, but it's probably about the national average income.
Hope I'm correct and I'll be getting a check as well. Married with kids.

hartman
06/01/2001, 12:44 PM
Well, Here is what I believe

Everyone gets the "rebate" check even if you don't pay "income" taxes.

Then I also think that if you make over 50K you will be getting the "sorry, you rich, mean, oppressor of the poor YOU get nothing!"

But I will check.

Hartman,
The rich, user of more than his fair share, capitalists pig, getting more of the tax relief than I deserve, hater of the environment.

DukeDog
06/01/2001, 08:57 PM
What !!!!!! What kinda crap is that? I thought we were all getting those amounts. Man I already had it spent. The wife doesnt know but thats another story:D
Jeff

becka
06/01/2001, 09:46 PM
Ok, guys help me out here... I work ALOT what are you talking about? A rebate check from the IRS? :eek1:
Some kinda cruel joke they are playing? When will we find out if/when/how much? Guess I need to start watching the news and reading the paper! :)

6-line
06/01/2001, 11:27 PM
Unless George W. is really pulling our fins....;)
It's part of the approved tax reduction/plan introduced by the new administration and approved by congress. It consists of several different changes and advantages (including a raise on the $500 per child tax deduction, it's now $600) and one of them is the rebate.
Now, if you don't pay taxes I don't believe you'll get a check.
I believe everyone gets one, whether you've reported $10,000 or $100,000. It just that the maximum rebate amount ($600) for married families will go to people with a taxed income that meets the minimum. The rebate will drop according to your income (I'm not real sure, say you reported $29,000, then your check will be $475-this is hypothetical, bottom line--not everyone will get the same amount).
So, it's not a joke.
What they joke will be is how the IRS is going to accomplish this task. That's one helluva lotta checks!

becka
06/02/2001, 08:23 AM
So any idea on when this is going to happen?

6-line
06/02/2001, 08:27 AM
Becka,
they said they would start mailing out the checks in June/July.
In other words:

Don't hold you breath.....:rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll get one prior to the end of summer.

hesaias
06/02/2001, 05:09 PM
Hartman, that sig lone is epic! You just gotta keep it;)
Becka, this aint no joke, but the paper said 95 million checks, so.... if there are more than 90 million tax payers, someones gonna be in for a rude awakening. I just hope they make a captive reef a deduction:D

RWD
06/03/2001, 07:11 AM
In the words of the Soup Nazi: No Check For You!!

ByTor
06/03/2001, 10:15 PM
Do we earn intrest on it if it's late??:rolleyes: