PDA

View Full Version : moonlight help

troyq
09/28/2003, 08:21 PM
Im building a moon light useing blue trailer lights. It looks really cool but I'm having problems with the 12v converter over heating. I started using a 300mA which started melting so I tried a 600 mA dc converter which also started to overheat. Did I go the wrong way with the converters should I have tried to get a smaller dc converter? Or is there something else I need to consider? I'm no electrician I know just enough to burn down my house so any help would be greatly appeaciated.

billwinterholer
09/28/2003, 09:12 PM
It could be that the lamp you're using draws more than the 300ma or 600ma you're providing. I can't remember automobile bulb statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised if it draws an amp or more. If this is the case, it's trying to suck more juice than the converters you have can provide, much like trying to get a one gallon bucket to hold three gallons of water - it just doesn't work.

If you have a 12 volt car battery charger, try using that instead of the power converters. But to be honest, I'd look into using something more power conservative. A lot of guys here have come up with excellent moonlight circuits. Do a search on Moonlight.

Bill

skipm
09/29/2003, 05:37 AM
If you check the threads describing moonlights that have been DIYed using the 300 mA converters they are powering LEDs for moonlights. I would have to agree that the bulbs you are trying to run are drawing more power than the converter is able to provide. Skip