PDA

View Full Version : MMM Award for Reefcentral Users

johnny
05/31/2001, 12:22 PM
I would like to nominate myself for this month's MMM (most moronic member) award... (hey johnL ... how about it? :) )

Last night my gf and I began the move of her 30gal breeder tank which had two baby turtles as well as a few fish. It had a gravel bottom, with a few stacks of larger slate pieces.

I took out 90% of the water and all of the slate. My gf suddenly said "oh no... there's a crack in the bottom!" I went over and looked, I ran my finger through the gravel and sure enough I felt it also... the top layer of the tempered glass on the bottom had shattered.

So with a few choice words I said there was no way we were going to put water back in the tank and take the chance of it cracking all the way through. I remembered seeing a 40g breeder (same footprint just taller) at a LFS. However it closed at 8 and it was 7:50..... so we loaded the tank stand, tank, and turtles into the back of the van and floored it to the LFS. We got there and they were closed, but we had to get the tank or we'd have nowhere to place the turtles overnight, so I knocked pretty hard on the front door and someone came. I said "do you still have that 40g breeder tank?"..... he said "yes"..... I said "we'll take it!" It was $90 but we really didn't have any other choice at this point.

So we brought the new tank home and put it up on the stand. I put some water in it and we then began removing the gravel from the old tank and putting it in the new tank. Well after we got enough gravel out to see the bottom pretty well... what did I notice....

A piece of acryllic about the same size as the bottom of the tank..... the same piece I put down over a year ago so the rocks wouldn't scratch the tank..... the 30g breeder WAS NOT broken :rolleyes:

Oh well, I guess it's time to start up a 30g breeder reef tank!

Nick

Q-ball
05/31/2001, 12:58 PM
:D

DeepBlue
05/31/2001, 02:07 PM
Great story Nick
Sorry, but you gotta laugh about this one!

If it makes you feel any better...
I second the nomination!

Rick