PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Wrasse Safe?

rick125
09/28/2003, 02:16 PM
I have a yellow wrasse in it's own small tank but I want to add it to my 40gal with corals, anemones, clown fishes, snails, shrimp and various crabs. I've read I should be cautious with this fish but would like to hear from you guys why. Thank you.

Rick,

Peter Schmiedel
09/29/2003, 02:40 AM
Which yellow wrasse do you mean. I know
Halichoeres chrysurus and Halichoeres leucoxanthus being yellow.

Anyway, if it is Halichoeres you can consider tham as reef safe.

rick125
09/29/2003, 02:48 AM
Yes it is the Halichoeres chrysus but I'm worried about it killing my blood red fire shrimp. That shrimp is cost me too much to make a silly mistake. So hopefully it wont be killing of my various crabs, shrimps or snails right??? Thanks.

Peter Schmiedel
09/29/2003, 02:52 AM
Small snails I would not bet on .... they are part of his prey. Only a big male would try to get your crabs.

Red fire shrimp .. guess you mean Lysmatha debelius?

rick125
09/29/2003, 12:24 PM
correct, lysmatha debelius. In the small tank I have it now, I used to house it with a coral banded shrimp. One day I came home and the coral banded shrimp was in pieces and I don't know if it died of other causes or what. This is why I'm so concerned.

Peter Schmiedel
09/30/2003, 01:31 AM
Normally to L.debeluis will not harm a S.hispidius. It really doesnt have the waepons for that. But after the "skin change" (how do you call that in english??) every shrimp is really vulnarable.

Still I dont see a problem with the yellow wrasse. Only when you have a adult male and add a new baby shrimp I woudl be concernd. But as you have a shrimp and add a wrasse... relax :D

rick125
09/30/2003, 03:00 AM
The "skin change" is called molting I believe. It's kinda hard to relax knowing that I came home to my coral banded shrimp in pieces. I'll try to relax though, hopefully all goes well.