PDA

View Full Version : Pinnatus Batfish

ATB USA
09/27/2003, 05:37 PM
Hi i was wondering if anybody has ever had one of these fish. Hope you can tell if it eats coral. I saw one at the lfs and love it. The best thing is it eats like crazy on brine and mysis.
Thanks Vic

Triggeraddict
09/27/2003, 10:37 PM
Two words: Avoid it. They have one of the worst survival records in captivity and even if they are eating they can just stop one day and be dead the next. They are extremely picky. And if it does survive they loose all their beautiful coloration and become HUGE bland adults. They get 20 inches TALL not long. Yes they will eat corals too. So whatever you do avoid him. Hope this helps.

Dragon Moray Eels
10/02/2003, 01:02 AM
Im in full agreement with Triggeraddict and as well will eat small invertebrates, and if your still in thought to get one? they are Very, very sensitive fish - acclimate very slowly, and keep pristine water quality. They are very picky at feeding time and may take some weaning onto feeding in captivity. Also as mention they are extremely difficult fish to keep and should only be kept by experts. They are a great community fish, but must be kept away from any nippers such as Angels due to their lengthy fins.
Buddy

Wolverine
10/02/2003, 08:11 AM
One more vote here for leave it at the store.

Dave

ATB USA
10/02/2003, 12:32 PM
Don't worry i listen to your guys advice I'm tired of getting difficult fish that just die
thanks

Corwyn
11/26/2003, 11:57 AM
Hey,

This was one of the very first fish I got way back when I was a total newbie.

THis was, now about 15 years ago. It was with 4 40w floros, a UG filter, a sander skimmer that makes a Skilter look high tech and a bioball wet/dry.

I bought this fish when it was about 1.5" vertically. After keeping it for several years I trade it in to the LFS because it could no longer swim in my 18" high tank without its fin coming out of the water.

I haven't tried another one since as this one grew incredible fast and as much as I liked it's juvi colours I did not like the looks of the adult. Did I just have a freak?

Corwyn

rmendis
11/26/2003, 12:04 PM
They are notoriously difficult to keep alive:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=247714&highlight=batfish
Those that do survive to become adults, lose their colors and become a dull gray:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185110&highlight=Pinnatus

The December issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine contains a 10 page article on Batfish. Some highlights:
- Platax pinnatus reaches length of 18 inches
- best if kept alone in a tall, dimly lit aquarium
- offer live adult brine shrimp with Selco as starter food
- most individuals refuse all food in captivity
- very few survive more than 3 months in aquariums

gtrestoration
01/29/2004, 09:47 PM
I have kept 2 in the past with success. This was in a 110 tall (48 x 18 x 30 tall). It was also a fish only setup with the only thing out of the ordinary for equipment was UV.

When I would go to a LFS, many time they would eat brine but nothing more. This won't IMO keep one healthy. If I would see one in a store I'd go back home a bring some frozen seafoods back to the store to see if it would take anything else. If it would, it was IMO a safe bet. The full size adult I had would eat full lenght strip of squid from my hand. The dimise of both was due to an introduction of local snails which seemed to have introduced something into the system. The entire tank of fish perished.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't suggest the fish to anyone but then it's been over two years that I've even seen one in a LFS. It's not impossible to keep, just not probable.

Steve U