PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake Moray eel question...

cmiannay
09/27/2003, 03:01 PM
Ok, forget the dwarf eels (too expensive!!)... I've done some research and now am looking for extra info on a Snowflake eel. From what I've read they have teeth that crush instead of sharp tearing teeth so they won't eat fish tankmates. HOWEVER, my concern is for the safety of our cleanup crew which will consist of various snails, cleaner shrimp, a sally lightfoot, and the like. Will a Snowflake eel eat them?

Jerry W
09/27/2003, 06:34 PM
Snails and hermits will be fine. Cleaner shrimp "should" be okay, and it might help to have them in the tank first and then introduce the eel. I kept a large SFE with two cleaners that would regularly give him a going over, including inside his mouth! A sally lighfoot will be a snack, as will emerald crabs, porcelains and other related crustaceans.

cmiannay
09/27/2003, 07:15 PM
Awwww... Head full o' puddin! It's always somethin!! :sad1:

What about starfish and clams? Will he eat those?

oceanarus
09/27/2003, 09:06 PM
I had one a while back (climbed out of the tank :() had it for several years but it was in a fish only system. I don't believe it will give any problems to starfish and clams but as said above it will definately snack on the sally lightfoot and emerald crabs. I used to feed mine crayfish so I am sure it could handle a smaller crab. But IMO the Snowflake is a much more personable tank occupant than any crab.