PDA

View Full Version : need advice on buying a new camera

surferdude141
09/27/2003, 12:55 AM
i can get a digital camera for christmas. i would like a camera in the 2-300 dollar price range. i will use it mainly for my fish tank but will also use it when we go places. what would be a good camera? it needs to be in my price range.
thanks
kevin

DerrickT
09/27/2003, 11:32 PM
This is a slight problem, surfer dude but in a good way! The problem with the tank shots are that most of the time the lighting provided is not enough so we have to manually force the camera to adjust (automode won't do it). Plus, our tank inhabitants are always on the move. Most above decent cameras with manual mode are slightly above your 300 dollar range, however, used ones are not. If I was in your situation, I'll take a look at a used Canon G1 if possible. They are in the 210-250 range on ebay even with some extra equipments included such as extra battery and lens adapter. The G1 is still a very capable camera (I had one for a year) plus it is not too heavy to carry around.

A very good point and shoot camera I have for quick trips and shots-on-the-fly is my S110, but that has its limitations. For instance I cannot select my shutter speed or aperture. I do get some great shots of fishes with it, but it came down to alot of patients and luck as compare to my G1. With the G1, I can pretty much take a decent shot in any situation. I've had only minor experience with Sony's and Nikons so I cannot comment them. I don't buy Sony because they use their limited memory sticks. I'm sure others can comment on other models and recommendations.

Hope that helps.

surferdude141
09/28/2003, 10:18 PM
thanks i might be albe to get a g2 if i can find a good price.