PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a Sailfin tang...

Kirk_M
09/26/2003, 09:49 PM
Recently, I purchased a sailfin tang, Zebrasoma veliferum. It was my understanding that this fish was a herbivore. However, whenever I offer Spirulina, he only eats it hesitantly, and does the same if I offer it sushi nori. The only food the fish will eat with enthusiasm is frozen brine shrimp, chasing every last morsel down until all that I offer is gone. He will even eat it out of my hand, or if I don't want to get my hands wet, right out of my medicine dropper. Is this bad for the fish, since he is not readily eating the herbivore diet?

I have recently tried Spirulina enriched brine shrimp, which he seems to like too, but, he didn't seem to rip into it the way that he does the regular brine shrimp.

Thanks!

Peter Schmiedel
09/27/2003, 02:20 AM
No it is not bad, he will find his herbivore part of the food in your tank. Try some other green food, different salads spinace etc. to give him more choice

We have a wild herb growing on the greens with yellow flowers - German name Loewenzahn - which we feed a lot to all tangs and angle fish.

He will eat spirunlia flakes too. Just needs to get used to the taste and smell.

But you know HOW BIG the Z.veliferum gets ?????

Kirk_M
09/27/2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
No it is not bad, he will find his herbivore part of the food in your tank. Try some other green food, different salads spinace etc. to give him more choice

We have a wild herb growing on the greens with yellow flowers - German name Loewenzahn - which we feed a lot to all tangs and angle fish.

But you know HOW BIG the Z.veliferum gets ?????

You feed tangs Dandelion leaves? That's a weed in my part of the world :). I hesitate to do that, as I would not be sure if the weed has toxins in it that it has taken up from the soil, and I have always read to stick to greens of marine origin when feeding your tangs (yes, I know many many people feed theirs romaine lettuce :) ).

Yes, I know how big they get, and I have the means and ability to upgrade my tank to a larger size when it becomes necessary.

EdKruzel
09/27/2003, 11:56 AM
Dandelion is actually a very high nutrient salad food (although I wouldn't eat it either:lol: )

It is best to stick with nori and other marine type plants.
Romaine, broccoli, and other garden vegetables are fine treats, but lack the proper nutrients necessary for marine fish.

Although your sailfin is a herbivore it does require meaty foods as well.
Try diced fresh seafood (cut to appropriate sizes). Brine is like candy bars to fish. They love them but receive little to no nutrients.

Your tang will come around to eating everything and anything you offer. A good variety is best.

Ed

derrikd
09/27/2003, 12:30 PM
is that ok to feed them Dandelion... never hear of this before. iw ould be afrad of the chemicals on that.... any one in the states do this.. intresting.... learn something new every day...

new tang food you pic from my yard... only .25 a leaf uummm..

EdKruzel
09/27/2003, 01:17 PM
Well you don't want nori from an area of an oil spill, as you wouldn't want dandelion from a heavily treated area of chemicals.

Unspoiled dandelion is high in vitamins and other nutrients and has been a recommended supplement in natural, pill and tea form for us for hundreds of years.

Take care,
Ed

Kimo
09/28/2003, 02:11 AM
Give him some time - I havea Zebrasoma Desjardini (my wife calls him freckles.) He took about a month before he was confortable enough to take algae off the clip. Now I feed him Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies (the red ones) and he LOVES it. He rips it off the clip and chases it around the tank.

Just give him some time.

Jamie

Peter Schmiedel
09/28/2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Kirk_M
You feed tangs Dandelion leaves? That's a weed in my part of the world :).

Not only in your part of the woarld :D
All mz fish LOVE it - Tangs, Siganus, Narvarchus ... they really eat it like rabbits.

I live in the country side and have a big ground there is polution problem.

But I have to check if we talk about the same plant - guess we do.

Would you folks like to see a pic of my fish eating the weef? Can make on later

Kirk_M
09/28/2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
Not only in your part of the woarld :D
All mz fish LOVE it - Tangs, Siganus, Narvarchus ... they really eat it like rabbits.

I live in the country side and have a big ground there is polution problem.

But I have to check if we talk about the same plant - guess we do.

Would you folks like to see a pic of my fish eating the weef? Can make on later

Sure, post one :) . I believe you, but I just think it would be interesting to see.