PDA

View Full Version : DIY Stand

kc20164
09/26/2003, 02:36 PM
Hey guys first off I want to thank everyone who responds to my post, you guys are only encouraging my motivation to make this tank and its residents very beautiful. I have a question about making my stand. I was taking to some friends last night and told them of constructing the stand out of 2x4's. They suggested I use 3/4 in plywood and said it was even stronger. Can anyone let me know if this is a no no or perhaps a good idea. Thanks

Ken

skipm
09/26/2003, 06:22 PM
I made mine out of 2x6s (what I already had laying around) and then covered it with 1/2" plywood for looks (again what I had laying around). 3/4" plywood is strong enough to build a stand out of on its own provided that you use good joinery techniques in the corners. I feel like the average DIYer is better off building a 2x4 frame and using plywood for aesthetics in covering the frame. JMO, Skip

nekbyter
09/26/2003, 09:39 PM
I've done a stand for my 90 out of 2x6 and 2x4's. Then I did a stand for my 125 out of 3/4" Plywood and I'd have to say that plywood is the way to go. There is far less problems with warp and twist. For the horizontal pieces I laminated two plywood boards together and made my own 2x6. I'm seriously thinking about my next stand being made out of steel tubing and powder coating it, then skin it all in with ss sheet.

kc20164
09/27/2003, 10:56 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. I will only have a 55g (beginning) and I was curious if you had any type of plans for your 3/4 plywood stand? The friends who originally suggested that method also suggest I notch them out and cross them in sort of an X form. I explained that doesnt optimize the space but the strength is what intrigued me. Thanks again