PDA

View Full Version : Do leapoard Wrasses eat Bristleworms?

MauiReefer
09/26/2003, 01:20 PM
I just got a nice 3-4 inch leopard wrasse, havent seen him for a long time, will he eat bristleworms? prepared foods? what do they prefer, and will they hurt anything in my tank, all I have are 5 blue legs, 2 red legs, and many many softies...than you

Jared

Peter Schmiedel
09/27/2003, 01:35 AM
How long did you not see him? Does he have enough sand to dive inside - tehz sleep and hide in the sand.

He will eat all kind of froozen food, but I would try with shirmp stile (mysis, krill) first. Guess he will eat smaller bristle worms.

The genus Macropharyngodon ist reef safe so the wrasse does not harm anything.

As these fish life in groups trz to buz a second femal (mostly females are offered) and let the strongst one change sex to a male.

ReefGeekster
09/27/2003, 01:54 AM
I have had mine going on 8 mos., great reef fish won't bother calms, xenia, ricordias, softies, SPS, LPS ect.... a model citizen.
Mine eats P.E. Mysis shrimp.

rgentry
09/27/2003, 02:19 AM
I bought one about a month ago. He burried himself in the sand within seconds after entering the tank. I've never seen him again. I'm assuming he's a goner, but have heard they can stay burried, or only come out at night for months? He sure was pretty for those 1st few seconds.

ReefGeekster
09/27/2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by rgentry
I bought one about a month ago. He burried himself in the sand within seconds after entering the tank. I've never seen him again. I'm assuming he's a goner, but have heard they can stay burried, or only come out at night for months? He sure was pretty for those 1st few seconds.

First few weeks I didn't see him too much, now he's like clock work, up at 7am and in bed by 8pm 24-7, one of the best looking fish.

hcs3
09/27/2003, 10:39 AM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.htm

HTH

Peter Schmiedel
09/28/2003, 02:06 AM
These fish have their daily "sleep and work" time based on the biologicla clock form the place they have been catched. It could take a while until they addapt our time schedules

AuroraDave
09/28/2003, 11:49 AM
First off, I wanted to echo Peter's post. My Leopards and Anampses all took between 2-3 weeks before changing from the pet stores lighting schedule to my tanks schedule. Sometimes I would see them swimming in a dark tank when I viewed off-hours. When I added the Male Anampses (Pyschedelic wrasse) I could set my watch to 8:15pm for the first week at which time he would disappear into the sand to sleep. Except for feeding, that was the only time the male and female were not swimming side by side.

Secondly, it isnt unusual for a Leopard to hide for a few days initially. My M. meleagris ate well at the pet shop and then hid and didn't eat for a week before gaining the confidence to eat in public. (He may have been eating pods, etc...) I QT'd him in my refugium for a few weeks before putting in my Reef.