PDA

View Full Version : Best medication for fungal infection

nanoguy
05/30/2001, 02:51 AM
I have small purple tang that I believe has some type of fungal infection. What would be the best medication to buy to rid my fish of this infection? Thanks!

billsreef
05/30/2001, 07:57 AM
The best and most consistant luck I've had is with Malachite green, dosed daily for a week. Naturally this must be done in a quarantine tank and not your reef ;)

Terry B
05/31/2001, 12:47 AM
Fungal infections in reef fish are very uncommon. Did this infection begin in a wound? Chances are that it is actually a bacterial infection. Nitrofurazone 40mg per gallon just one dose on the first day lasting three to five days. Neomycin is probably the best choice for this type of external bacterial infection. It should be dosed only once on the first day with treatment lasting 3 to 5 days. Use Neomycin at 250mg per gallon. Treat only in a Qtank. If you can't find either of these antibiotics then try to find some Melafix.
Terry B

nanoguy
05/31/2001, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.....I don't think it started out in a wound Terry, unless ich can cause wounds. The fish got ich at first than that cleared up and now has had a few small, very faint, white patches on it's body. It's been there now for about a month. It doesn't seem to be spreading or growing, but it is definitely not getting better. I have the tang in a hospital tank now, it's still eating well and the infection really doesn't seem to affect it (it's not scratching or anything). Well, I'll give the bacterial medication a try. Oh...by the way, how can you tell the difference between a "bacterial infection" from a "fungal infection?" Thanks!

[Edited by nanoguy on 05-31-2001 at 02:37 AM]

Terry B
05/31/2001, 02:05 AM
Since it hasn't changed in a month it is probably damage from the ich and from a secondary bacterial infection that may be gone now. The damage you are seeing is called multifocal depigmentation. Make some water changes and feed the fish some frozen spirulina and pacifica plankton. These can help with pigmentation.
Terry B

nanoguy
05/31/2001, 10:11 AM
Thanks info Terry........I'll give the food a try to see how it turns out.