PDA

View Full Version : H. Tusk question ( reef safe)?

LouieM
09/25/2003, 04:32 PM
I was going to go with a crabless tank. I have about 30 snails and some hitch hiker starfish hiding in the rocks. I also have 2 small hitch hicker crabs.

I think that Tusks are awsome looking fish. I read where it said they will eat all your crustations. Will they eat snails and coral? I am not planning on adding any crabs or shrimp.

Any advice would be great

LouieM
09/25/2003, 06:44 PM
bump

Tobyt
09/25/2003, 06:51 PM
http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/choerodon/faciata.htm

I've always wanted one but don't have a large enough tank. You can expect them to eat snails too. They don't seem to be interested in damaging coral, but I wouldn't put it past them to bash apart fragile monitporas to get a critters.

OrionN
09/25/2003, 09:03 PM
Louie,
I have a Harlequin Tuskfish in my reef. He is a stunning fish and every easy to care for and feed. However, there are several things you should know.
1. HT eats lots, will get large and can tax a reef system.
2. He will decimate your snail population. He won't go for the large Turbo, but breeding snails in your tank is a thing of the past if you have one in there. Mine wipe out a thriving snails population in two weeks.
3. He will go for shrimps especially when you just put the shrips in the tank. He will go after the older ones in the tank also, especially when they molt.
4. Small fish are fair game, especially new small fish. I saw the owner at the only LFS here in Corpus release 4 or 5 purple fire fish into his dispaly tank witha 4 inches Turkfish. All except one was gone in 30 seconds. The only one survided dart into a hole. I think he was gone the next day. Mine was the last one into my tank. He did not bother any of my smaller fish and did not kill the two cleaner shrimps I have.
Other than the above, he is a perfect reefish (will not bother any of the corals)
Minh

LouieM
09/26/2003, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the info :-) I will not be getting one then

jarvis
09/26/2003, 05:13 AM
How about clams?

OrionN
09/26/2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by jarvis
How about clams?
My clams are fine with him. Just snails, and any new small fish. I am sure if he is hungry, then the small fishes will not be safe.