PDA

View Full Version : how many powerheads?

melt
05/30/2001, 12:11 AM
I have a 90 gallon tank, I was wondering how many powerheads do I need and size.
I have 2 hagen 802
1 hagen 402
it's a reef ready tank and my return is a rio 2500, but I will be changing it this week, for a bigger and better pump.

PS. is the rio 2500 (535gph) to big to put behind my rocks?

[Edited by melt on 05-30-2001 at 01:35 AM]

melt
05/30/2001, 06:37 AM

KASESQ
05/30/2001, 09:59 AM
These pumps have caused untold damage to reeftanks of my friends and imho should not be used in any situation other than where they can do no harm, like a koi pond of considerable size, or perhaps briefly for mixing NSW.I advocate the Eheim submersibles as carefree, longlasting pumps-great prices on them at petwarehouse.com. Your powerheads should be fine but I would not hook them up to a wave maker-switching device as ime the Fluval impeller does not stand up to frequent on/off cycles;the plastic skirt on the blade unit cracks after awhile. Leave them on all the time facing each other for good turbulence, or have them both face the same direction so that the current flows from the top to the bottom ensuring oxygen saturation throughout your tank. For an inexpensive powerhead used on a wavemaker I have found the Maxijet 1200 to be unsurpassed. For a more pricey set up you could go with the Turbelle powerheads hooked up to the Tunze controller for some really natural back-and-forth movement. But for goodness'sake lose the Rio! fwiw, KASESQ

melt
05/30/2001, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that info, any more people...