PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse for reef - I need your inputs

besl
09/25/2003, 07:09 AM
I happened to love wrasse's for their color and graceful swimming. I am looking for recommendations for wrasse's that are reef compatable. Also, I would like to have more than one wrasse species in my 55 gallon and am looking for recommendations for reef safe wrasse combinations.

To start you out I like the Flasher (Carpenter) Wrasse - is there another reef safe wrasse I can keep in the same tank.

I also have soft and LPS corals in this tank.

Thanks for your ideas!

Tobyt
09/25/2003, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't keep more than one type of wrasse in a 55G. In fact, I wouldn't keep more than one wrasse in a 55G. (I have 1 Solar wrasse in a 90G) You might do okay if you get a pair of Flasher Wrasses as long as it's a male/female pair.

Mystery wrasse, four line wrasse, six line wrasse are alternative small wrasses, but again, I wouldn't mix species in a 55G.

Peter Schmiedel
09/25/2003, 07:18 AM
The entire Genus Paracheilinus is reef safe. As they live in male dominated groups you should only keep them in a group! But only one male per tank.

If you want to keep different kinds of wrasses you should combine plankton feeders like Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus with crustacae feeders like Pseudocheiliuns, Halichoeres or Macropharyngodon .

But be aware that Paracheilinus often jumps ... personally I would go for a trio of the six line in your tank.

ozadars
09/25/2003, 09:56 AM
Hi besl,
Kinds of Flasher, Fairy, Line and Leopard (Paracheilinus, Cirrhilabrus, Pseudocheilinus and Macropharyngodon) wrasses are all ok. I love wrasses to but really really hard to find in Turkey.

besl
09/25/2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks to all for helping me so far and I will still appreciate more feedback and recommendations (e.g. wrasse ideas for 55 gallon reef and if there are multiple species I could keep together harmoniously).

My lfs had a red/pink/white one a couple of weeks ago I had never seen before - it was gorgeous - does any one know which wrasse this is (common name is preferred as my Latin is not what it use to be)... I would like to research this as a possibility and see if it is reef safe, etc.

Also, if I end up with multiple Flashers only, does anyone have any experience, pictures, etc of these?

ozadars
09/25/2003, 10:47 AM
I think fairy wrasses have better colours then Flashers, also i think there was a long article on reefkeeping... If you want a easier specie you should try Psuedochellinus sp.

besl
09/25/2003, 10:55 AM
I just realized one more point for consideration... I have a Crushed Coral substrate - will this be harmful for wrasses? The Psuedochellinus sp. looks cool if I can find one, I mentioned I like Flashers. When you leave feedback please include your thoughts of my CC substrate.

Peter Schmiedel
09/26/2003, 12:41 AM
The coral substrate ruels out the species which dive in the sand at night (Macropharyngodon, Haliocheres )

The flashers (Paracheilinus) and Cirrhilabrus and Pseudocheilinus dont do this.

As I stated alread you can keep them in group, but should stick to one species. If you can buy only femals, they are -at least here - cheaper and the strongest one will change to a male.

Sorry for the sientific names, but I dont know the us comon names, and with the sientific one you can always cross check in books. The book about wrasse from Kuiter is the one you should have (no idea if it is available in english)

reefy em
09/27/2003, 11:37 PM
I have a crushed coral substrate in my 20 gal. and my yellow wrasse has slept in it for over a year now with no problems. It is the finer size though, just above sand-size. Any bigger than that and it wouldn't work for them. HTH

redhdmedic
09/28/2003, 10:40 PM
I have a dragon wrasse in my 40g reef...unfortunately I do have crushed coral sub (until I finally get the time to swap it out for a DSB, probably around moving day) He has been there for 13 months and is happy as can be. Have to be aware of your rock though, they can and will move all but the largest of LR or corals. So make sure all corals are properly adhered and your rockwork is sizable or adhered as well.

Carrie

SurferDude771
10/01/2003, 09:05 PM
i have a carpenters wrasse that hangs out with my pair of firefish all day long and sleeps in the grape caulerpa at night

jay24k
10/02/2003, 09:10 AM
at out LFS, they have a couple nice looking wrasse and they say they are not reef safe.

reefy em
10/02/2003, 09:47 AM
Not all wrasses are reef safe but some groups of them are. You need to do research to find out which ones are and are not.

besl
10/02/2003, 09:54 AM
Ok, time to refocus this thread. Please see my original questions which in essence I was looking for:

"...like to have more than one wrasse species in my 55 gallon and am looking for recommendations for reef safe wrasse combinations."

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

reefy em
10/02/2003, 10:01 AM
I thought we were helping you with your questions. We are still discussing reef-safe wrasses and we discussed your questions about the CC substrate. There were many suggestions about wrasse combinations given.