PDA

View Full Version : Funny stuff your fish do on their own

zachfishman
09/24/2003, 07:16 PM
I've got an awful English project due next week and need some fun. Tell me a unique, entertaining behavior one of your fish exhibits that isn't normal response to food, spawning, or social displays. I'll start: my sixline occasionally swims the length of the front wall of my 120 (at sand level right up against the glass), pulls up and swims up the oncoming vertical wall; then swims back for more!

oama
09/24/2003, 08:39 PM
One of our male clowns (A. ocellaris) loved to ride the bubble stream coming from the airstone. He would line up with the airstone and swim into the bubble stream. It would carry him up to the surface. Then he would swim down and take another ride. He would do it all day long! :)

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that pair ever spawned.

Wheeldog63
09/25/2003, 03:47 PM
In my 18 gal I had an astrea snail that would climb up the glass then onto a powerhead and then get tossed to the other side of the tank, then go back there, he did it like 4-5 times a day for a few weeks, then a hermit got ahold of him:-( That hermit now lives in the solitude of the sump.

fishtanker
09/26/2003, 09:35 AM
my yellow boxfish likes to swim against the flow of the powerhead and when he reaches the output of the powerhead he lets the water blow him across the tank. he does this over and over...i think he's exercising ;)

Aquarianna7891
09/26/2003, 06:44 PM
My little ocellaris is also quite a character- he'll ride the "flow" of the powerhead across the tank, and then go back and do it again! Very entertaining :D

oama
09/26/2003, 08:02 PM
Fishtanker's story reminded me about a yellow cowfish...

Back in the day, when I worked at a large public aquarium, we had a cylindrical tank with a yellow cowfish in it. That little guy knew who we were (it must have been our costumes/uniforms). There would be a ring of people around the tank, but that little guy always oriented on us. Running up & down the sides, waiting to be fed. We use to circle the tank behind those pressing their noses to it, and he would follow us around and around.
Who ever said fish have no personality?