PDA

View Full Version : My 6-line wrasse is acting incredibly weird

patrickb
09/23/2003, 10:37 PM
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my problem.

I have a 40 gallon soft coral reef tank that has been up and running for about a year. My water quality is pretty good (1.025 sal., 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 ppm nitrate). About 8 months ago I bought a 6-line wrasse that has been doing really well until recently. About 2 months ago he started looking out of the front of the tank and twitching his head back and forth. Then he started stiffening his tail to one side and remain really still while for 2 or 3 seconds in an almost completely vertical position. Now, in addition to the previous two things, he has started to flash (thrash violently for a second) right after he does his vertical rigid behavior. He seems to go into these spells pretty often--about 30% of the time when i'm watching--and does it for 15 minutes or so. Is there something wrong with him? Is this natural behavior for a fairy wrasse? Is there anything i can do?

Thank you for your help,
Patrick

JPerkins
09/23/2003, 10:40 PM
Maybe its your TV. :) Does that to me when I'm watching most of the gack on it.

Anyway, it may see a reflection because the room lights are on now?

Fish-o-holic
09/23/2003, 11:32 PM
My 6line does the same thing. I do fine it rather entertaining but it's perfectly normal. Sounds harsh but it's a blast to watch. LOL

Peter Schmiedel
09/24/2003, 04:49 AM
This is for sure not a normal wild live behavior. This fish lives in groups and is missing is social interaction! He is "reacting" to the mirror effect of the tank glas.

Do him a favour and by another one. BUT the new one has to be much much smaller than the one you have.

Fish-o-holic
09/24/2003, 08:06 AM
Okay well maybe it's behavior isn't what I would consider "normal".

Does anyone else have something to add to Peter's statement? I always thought this particular fish likes to be by itself in our tanks otherwise fighting will occur.

Peter Schmiedel
09/24/2003, 08:11 AM
We in Europe had the same opinion until some of us used their diving experience and watched them in the wild. The last hint was in the book from Kuiter. I was one of the first who tried to keep them in a group - acoording to their life in the wild.

I keep a group of 3 and they spawn regularly. I know it ist hard to believe - you should have seen the face of my LFS men as I told hom that they all go in one tank ... now he also sells them in pairs and groups.

Fish-o-holic
09/24/2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
We in Europe had the same opinion until some of us used their diving experience and watched them in the wild. The last hint was in the book from Kuiter. I was one of the first who tried to keep them in a group - acoording to their life in the wild.

I keep a group of 3 and they spawn regularly. I know it ist hard to believe - you should have seen the face of my LFS men as I told hom that they all go in one tank ... now he also sells them in pairs and groups.
Cool I learned some new today. I wasn't disagreeing with you but just thought that was interesting, that's all. :)

Peter Schmiedel
09/24/2003, 08:25 AM
In did not take it as disagreeing :)

If we all share our experience and knowledge hopefully more fish surfive that we "take care" of them

Fish-o-holic
09/24/2003, 08:46 AM
By far, the 6line is one of my favorites in the tank. It just minds it's own busniess and doesn't harass it's tankmates. The flame angel I have on the other hand, is somewhat the bully of the tank believe it or not. :rolleyes:

Peter Schmiedel
09/24/2003, 08:51 AM
Give the flame a mate and you will see how relaxed it can be. BTW imho the flame is rather easy to sex - depending on how the fins end. If I see several I could always pick two which happen to get along very good.

if you have a pic form yours I can try my luck

Fish-o-holic
09/24/2003, 10:07 AM
I'll try to snap a shot shortly if I am able to get a decent pic. Those fishies aren't no slow-pokes...

patrickb
09/24/2003, 06:10 PM
is 40 gallons enough room for 2 6-lines? i have a couple of pygmy angels and a paired maroon clowns as well as a pistol shrimp and watchman goby.
thanks,
patrick

Peter Schmiedel
09/25/2003, 01:18 AM
Hi Patrick,

I would not place more than three in that tank size. I have no idea waht is the smallest size you can get in the us. Can one please advise.

I would add two small ones and one bigger one, or all in small size. Small I call below 1 inch

If they are to big they might have changed their sex to males already. And this process can not be reversed. More than one mail will not work in a tank.

::PixelFish::
09/28/2003, 12:02 PM
My six line does the exact same thing. He'll go up to my other fish, a Clown Goby and Firefish, and flash at them then and swim around normally until I come up to the tank to have a look. He swims right up to my face and starts twitching, arching his body and flashing.

He is definately king of the tank and actually killed a Pseudochromis with constant bullying.

Gem Tang Rider
10/02/2003, 07:21 PM
Hey my sixline is doing the same thing. Never noticed it before. He/she's only 1&1/4 inch long. Learn something new every day!