PDA

View Full Version : Coral Water Chemistry FAQs?

tkoehler
05/29/2001, 10:32 AM
All-

I'm getting ready to start my tank off with a few live corals, however, I want to have as much information as possible on the subject. I bought several great books that go into great detail, but I am having a hard time trying to find the overall guidelines needed to have successful thriving corals. I know that each coral has different needs, but are there certain themes that I should be following?

-How much calcium should I have?
-Are too many nitrates bad?
-What pH is the best
(again, I'm just looking for high level water chemistry FAQs)

I bought a great book by Julian Sprung on corals that specifies many of them and their special lighting/food needs, but I still need to get a better understanding of the proper water chemistry for corals.

Is there a good resource for this? Am I completely blind?

Thanks for your help!

Todd

Specs
3.5 Months
-75 gallon
-PC lighting - JBJ Aqua-Lighting
-2" sand bed (going to 4" in time)
-120 #s of LR
-Yellow Tang
-2 Green Chromis
-Wet/Dry Amiracle Model PL-1000
-With Venturi Skimmer
-Pump 2100 (Rio) - Insert comment
-Power Head 400 (Rio) - Insert comment

TonyHNYC
05/29/2001, 11:44 AM
Hi!
If you are planning to start keeping corals. you should start something that is hardy (ie, mushrooms, colt, leather, etc.) My calcium stays at 400-450. Nitrates are always zero or neglible range. The pH changes from 7.6(at night) to 8.3 daytime. Good luck...it will definitely be an exciting start

JohnL
05/29/2001, 02:46 PM
Hi Todd,

Here are some FAQs that should get you started.

Which books did you get?

BTW, [welcome]

tkoehler
05/30/2001, 08:58 AM
JohnL

The book is called "Corals A Quick Reference Guide"
Julian Sprung - Oceangraphic Series
September 1999

It is a great resource with many different species cataloged. It has great pictures along with a very helpful bar chart explaining how much light, waterflow, aggressiveness, and food you need to provide. It also shows you the best placement strategies for each coral. I will feel quite confidant on the maintenance of the coral, but I'm still concerned on knowing the proper water chemistry for corals.?.?

Any other resources you can recommend?

Thanks

Todd

JohnL
05/30/2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by tkoehler
Any other resources you can recommend?

Here are a couple of books (http://www.reefcentral.com/books/Default.htm) that I like.