PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into planted tanks? Check some of these out

JSC
05/28/2001, 08:30 PM
I saw some of these Amano freshwater planted tank pics and just had to start a heavily planted tank. I started out freshwater a long time ago before keeping salt but now I am hooked on seting up a Amano style tank. Check these pics out of a few of the tanks he has set-up. This guy rules! The pics in his books are even nicer.

http://209.208.139.244/aqua_home/vchan/Amano_Gallery/AmanoGallery.htm

smokinreefer
05/28/2001, 08:43 PM
if you dont have them already, go look for them:
Nature Aquarium World vol 1,2,3. the books are amazing, also done by Amano :) have fun.

i had a fully planted 45, 4' x 18"H x 12"W. with a school of 3 dozen cardinals, a dozen bleeding heart tetras, and a few discus. it was an awesome tank. i wish i had taken pics of my tanks back then.

and i just tore down my 135 fully planted with only java moss, java fern, and java fern sp.wendelov. all grown on root wood of course. :)

that tank was sweet too! but i dont think i'll miss it after i turn that 135 into my next reef! :) :)

have fun with your up and coming tank. plant tanks are cool!

JSC
05/28/2001, 09:12 PM
Actually I just brought in a bunch of xenia frags and got both 1 and 2, they are awesome! Im only setting up a 30. It will have foreground carpet of glossostigma, java moss, riccia and sa backround of camboba and tall italian vals. Also petrified wood and a school of white cloud mountain minnows with some amano shrimp for algae. Its looking great already!

smokinreefer
05/28/2001, 09:46 PM
cool! :) be weary of that riccia tho, its pretty hard to work with IME. later.

DedHed
05/29/2001, 12:38 AM
i got the substrate at wal mart. it's sold under the name Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil.

i would like to know more about the equipment needed for a planted tank. i think i'm going to try the homemade c02 on this tank.

i've also heard that it's best to start off with a WHOLE LOT of plants.

my tank will be a 55-gallon with two NO 6500k 40W bulbs. i just want to grow low light plants though.

any advice would be aprecciated
thanks
Dennis

mengerin
05/29/2001, 12:48 AM
Amano is a freak of nature. I don't know how he makes freshwater tanks look so beatiful. He's a master of that art for sure. I've never seen anyone who could make a prettier plant tank than him.

Nanook
05/29/2001, 01:46 AM
I'm setting up a 58 gallon planted tank in the near future. I was going to use two of the 96w PC with a CO2 injection system and Fluorite substrate, but am considering going with lower light and no CO2. I don't know if I'll have the time to prune the plants all the time with the pushed system. I am looking forward to trying a planted tank though. I have several fish in my 29 gallon that would go into a larger home.

Nanook