PDA

View Full Version : first creatures of my new tank

midreefer
09/22/2003, 11:03 AM
My tank has been up and running for about 2 months now. I cycled it with shrip for the first 3 weeks. Went though huge AM NO2, NO3 spikes. I did a 30% water change and added my LR last weekend. It went throuh another very small AM and NO2 cycle. Now the tests read PH=8.0, AM=0, NO2=0, NO3=0. Havn't tested for Ca or Alk yet. There is a fine coating of diatoms. I added 1 Turbo, 2 Margarita snails and 1 blue legged hermit a couple days after adding the LR.

Featherdusters, bristle worms, some things I have no idea what they are.... The tank is alive with pods. (white little "gnats" darting all over the tank) Things are going good!

I am getting anxious to add things. Is it safe? If so what are some things that I can start shopping for? (low light, will be upgrading from NO to PC very soon)

Should I start testing the water for Ca and alk? I want to keep my coralline growing strong.

ALSO: if anyone can reccomend a sight i would like to identify somthings growing on the LR.

:bounce3: :bounce2: :bounce1:

rmendis
09/22/2003, 11:07 AM
Looking good! Sounds like you've been real patient thus far. You should probably wait a couple more weeks, as there will likely be more die-off from the LR and algae blooms on the rock. If you must add something, you could start with a small colony of zoos or some mushrooms, which are both pretty hardy.

Here is an excellent site on LR hitchhikers: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/

sspargur
09/22/2003, 11:09 AM
If the rock you addes wasn't fully cured, done add anything yet. Give it another couple weeks before you add anything to make sure you're completely through the cycle.

Here is a link to help you ID the life on your rock. Best of luck.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

midreefer
09/22/2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the links and advise! I have another ? does the water flow look to be ok? I am a little worried that there isnt enuff flow twards the bottom of the tank. Do I have th power heads pointed in the right directions. the one on the left is a zoomed powersweep) Should I upgrade the cheapo powerhead?

(left) zoomed=270 g/h
fluval=180g/h
maxi-jet 12000=295g/h
(right)cheapo powerhead=80g/h

midreefer
09/22/2003, 12:03 PM
holy crap sorry about the typos! this thing needs a spell check orr I need to slow down!

sspargur
09/22/2003, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I read my first post and I sounded like an idiot too! lol

I'm not sure if you have enough circulation, put some macro algae at the bottom of your tank and see how it moves in the current.

I have a 80 gal (48x18 footprint) and I have 1 maxijet 1200 in a corner and a 3/4 Seaswirl in the center that is driven by a Mag 950 at 3 feet of head. I have PLENTY of circulation.

midreefer
09/22/2003, 12:14 PM
The maxi-jet is the pump on my skimmer. There is water movement at the bottom. I just wasnt sure if there was a rule of thumb on "how much" movement there should be. I know from reading on here that you should have 10x waterflow to gal of tank. my tank is 60gal so 600g/h is recommended and i have over 745 right now. I am just trying to avoid "deadspots in the tank. i have the rock away from the glass it is supported by pvc (see gallary for pics) so i could have water flow around the whole tank. I just want to make sure the pumps are pushing in the right direction. :rollface:

alphaferret
07/03/2004, 07:57 PM
ya patience is cool - cannot stress waiting and resisting the urge to by alot of live stuff- go slow young grasshopper-lol

sspargur
07/03/2004, 09:21 PM
LOL Lizard - This thread is almost a year old.

Aquabucket
07/03/2004, 09:44 PM
Talk about patience, it looks like lizardman waited almost a year to answer this thread LOL.

Now I can't help wonder how midreefer's tank is doing.