PDA

View Full Version : Our water temps vs. natural reef?

syow
09/22/2003, 01:00 AM
I don't know how many reefers out there are divers as well.. but i thought i'd post what I find to be a very interesting observation..

This summer, I was lucky enough to dive Ras Mohammed (Off the coast of Sharm el Sheikh, red sea), Cozumel, and Maui...

In the Red Sea, the temps ranged from 84 deg to 86 deg.. depending on depth

In Cozumel, the temps ranged from 83deg to 85 deg

In Maui, the temp was a rather stable 82deg..

I checked my dive computer temp gague by soaking it in water with ice cubes, and got a reading of 32 degrees.. so i am pretty sure it's accurate...

So my question is.. why do we keep our reef tanks (relatively) cooler than the actual reefs? (at least, most of the books i read say to keep the reef between 78 and 80....)

thoughts?

ktwalker
09/22/2003, 01:03 AM
Maybe to account for winters temps as well? I'm sure Hawaii is not 82 all year round.

Check out:

http://hawaiiweathertoday.com/mwt/mwt_wxmonth.html

kris

COreefer
09/22/2003, 02:10 AM
When I was in cozumel in December the surface temp was about 80 and the bottom temp at 80ft was about 79. I have dove Cozumel in Sept and the water temp was 82. 83-85 seems high.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/22/2003, 07:21 AM
This is an area that has stirred considerable debate.

Ron presents the arguments for keeping temps on the higher side:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

and Richard gives arguments for keeping reefs a little cooler:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/mar/features/1/default.asp

rpgraff
09/22/2003, 11:58 AM
Well jee wiz, after reading both articles I'm still know where new being able to come to a concensus ..LOL.

logical
09/22/2003, 12:04 PM
Seems it would be very interesting for those with chillers to try and emulate the seasonal water temp chages. Possibly veering into the 80-82 range for 6 months, a couple months in the 82-84 range and a coupl in the 78-80 range. May not prove a thing, but would seem to get even closer to our goal of recreating the few variables of nature we can.

Just thinking outloud, peace, Bryan

rpgraff
09/22/2003, 12:27 PM
I often ponder the concept of trying to maintain a "natural" environment for our reef tanks. There is not a whole lot that is "natural" about them. We use "artificial" sea salt mixed with artificially created RO water. Our lighting is "artificial" and we dose with "artificial" additives. The atmosphere our tank water is exposed to is "polluted" with things not common in a remote natural reef and we use a mirad of equipment that I have yet to have seen in use on a wild reef:bum:

Ok, so I'm being a little tongue in cheek, but I'm of the opinion (as ill informed as that may be) that corals have incredible adaptive capabilities, otherwise they would not have survived on this planet as long as they have. I tend not to think "How can I Mimic their natural habitat" as much as I wonder "Which tools/methods make the most sense and can/will the inhabitants adjust and thrive when using them".

Granted, understanding their biology and environment helps guide us in making the decisions we do, but we still must work with the tools we have at hand.

Bomber
09/22/2003, 12:35 PM
and Jerel and every marine culture lab in the Caribbean basin sides with Richard too. LOL

Temp have been gradually rising since reefs formed. Temp measurements taken today mean nothing. That is unless your trying to duplicate bleaching events. ;)

Jimbo
09/22/2003, 12:40 PM
It cracks me up when somone posts saying "my temp is 84 degrees! - help quick!" :rolleyes:
My tanks are ALWAYS between 82 and 84 degress, and they do just fine. I do this on purpose. That way when the temp spikes to 86 on a 103 degree day like we had yesterday - no problems. :D

Jim

Bluetangclan
09/22/2003, 01:15 PM
maybe on the coral side reefs like higher temps but fish prefer it cooler. I have done alot of reading where fish congregate in cooler areas of the reef, under over hangs, up wellings ect. There has been research done which shows fish metabolisms increase in higher temps as well meaning they burn more energy and need to eat more.

Rick Davis
09/22/2003, 03:25 PM
By the way Syow..

how was the diving in the Red Sea?

I worked in Yemen for over 3 years so I got to snorkel some shallow reefs off Ras Isa - fabulous. I would love to get back to the Red Sea someday.

prof10000
09/22/2003, 04:17 PM
I would suggest that you maintain as close to constant temp. as you can. I am unhappy with the fact that I can get as much as a 5 degree bounce between day and night because of my MH bulbs.

This should change soon. I will do my best to maintain about a 81-2 degree temp.

Dave