PDA

View Full Version : No pods

Antimony1019
09/21/2003, 10:11 PM
My 55gallon has been set up for almost 3 months and I still have no pods. Is this normal?? My 10 gallon was swarming with pods at this stage. Everything in my tank is doing great and my parameters are all normal.

mattseattle
09/21/2003, 10:20 PM
my tank is about 2 months old and i have so many pods on the sides that i can barely see in. i added some live sand about 2 weeks ago and have been putting in DT's the past week or so and the population has exploded.

maybe your fish is keeping them in check. right now i have no fish but only a few corals, hermits, snails, crab.

Antimony1019
09/21/2003, 10:26 PM
I am leaning toward the fish keeping them in check, most likely my scooter blenny. I was planning on starting to put some DTs in, for my clam (it doesn't really need it cause it's big enough, but I wanted to supplement with something), so I guess I'll see if that will make a difference.

ross76053
09/21/2003, 10:40 PM
You can also purchase a pod kit, or seed from another reef tank.

lllosingit
09/21/2003, 11:00 PM
I put a Scooter blenny in a 30 gallon that was crawling with pods and he cleaned them out in less that a month so I had to put him in my 125 gallon tank.
I would suggest you set up a small refugium or if that's not possible build a pod pile in your tank. A pod pile is a pile of liverock rubble placed in a low flow area. The rubble should be small enough that the scooter can't get into it to eat the pods yet large enough that there are small gaps for the pods to swim around in.
It give them a place to breed without becoming a snack.

Entropy
09/21/2003, 11:06 PM
I don't have that many in my display tank anymore (mandrin and a scooter) but my refuge is crawling with them. The best way to check your main tank for pods is to take a look after the lights go out. I have a 4 watt night light over mine and when the lights go out the swarms of pods come out all over the place. Even my clowns have a good time eating the ones that swim to the surface.