PDA

View Full Version : Can I net my foxface?

Laura D
09/21/2003, 03:11 PM
I need to catch my foxface and put him in another tank. I was wondering if it would be OK to net him. I would catch him in the net and scoop him out with a plastic container, not lift him out in the net.

I was just wondering if they have and hooks on their spines like some fish do that make it not a good idea to net them.

Project Reef
09/22/2003, 06:22 AM
I've netted rabbitfish several times, no problems at all. Their spines don't attach to the net like pygmy angel spines on their gills. You will be just fine.

Laura D
09/22/2003, 09:21 AM
Groovy, thanks for the response.

Yeah I netted my cherub angel once and it was very traumatic for me and the fish, I ended up just leaving the net in the tank and having him extricate hiself because I couldn't do it, thought I should ask first before trying Senior Foxy.

Project Reef
09/22/2003, 03:18 PM
You are not alone. I hate when that happens! Weird feeling.

Preds
09/22/2003, 04:51 PM
One thing to watch out for, foxfaces are big thrashers when they've been netted (IME), so watch out for those spines. Ouch!

Laura D
09/22/2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Preds
One thing to watch out for, foxfaces are big thrashers when they've been netted (IME), so watch out for those spines. Ouch!

Yeah, well my hubby was teasing me and saying I should just tough it out and catch him with my hands.:rolleyes:

Never been stung by a rabbitfish and I don't plan to!!

I will catch him in the net and transfer him into a one gal bucket underwater.

I have caught him several times using a fish trap, but the new aquascaping will make that hard this time. He has algae eating duties in another tank that is why I need to move him. I bought him because all my live rock is embedded with caulerpa and I couldn't get rid of it, and I must say he does a GREAT job. Some caulerpa he likes more than others, but he eventually eats all of it.

EdKruzel
09/22/2003, 11:56 PM
Laura,
Please remember if you do get stuck to submerse your wound in hot water. As hot as you can stand it without getting burnt.

A couple of asprins help as well if you can stop cursing long enough to swallow them.

A foxface hurts almost as bad as a mature Volitan.

Take care,
Ed