PDA

View Full Version : windows message errors

DedHed
05/27/2001, 10:12 PM
does anyone know what

WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR means?

when i installed Win 98 on this older machine it said windows protection error. what causes that ?

windows couldn't start, couldn't do anything.

had to reformat and put win 95 back on. i know the disc is fine.

HELP
dennis

IFLY2HIGH
05/29/2001, 01:59 PM
I had the same problem on a system I just got done working on. How much memory do you have in the system. The system I have only has 16 megs. I had to install more memory into the system to get it to boot up. It's also a bit flaky so we said forget it and removed the ram. Now it starts up even with 16 megs of memory. So we figured it's a possesed system and it went into the basement.

Buy a MAC!! :D

DedHed
05/29/2001, 11:19 PM
that machine was a 133MHZ with 24 MB ram. it's actually the one i'm on now!

i have a cable modem too. it's kinda like having a jet motor on a aluminum fishing boat...USELESS

does anyone know what it really means?

BTW i went back with Win 95 on this one! it conserves ram that way too.

thanks
Dennis

Starmy
05/30/2001, 07:09 PM
It sounds like a Plug and Play/hardware conflict issue. Sometimes in the initial configuring a device will work, but then the conflict will win upon second reboot.

I could ask questions about the errors while loading, and also whether or not the mass download completed without a hitch, but instead will jump to troubleshooting.

I wouldn't try to solve this one in Safe mode (though it can be very useful). Instead, pull out the modem with the computer off. Boot up, then go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Computer, Properties. This is a list of IRQs and associated devices, and really the most truthful representation of what's going on in your system.

The list goes from 0-15. If a number doesn't show up, it is available. My guess is that nothing is available. If this is the case, tell me a) is IRQ4 COM1 and IRQ3 COM2, and do you use a PS2 or serial mouse (check IRQ12 if uncertain), b) do you have any devices in your system that you don't use, and c) what is listed on 5, 9-11 (don't bother reporting "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering).

If there is a number available in the list, try reseating the modem in a different PCI slot than the one before (assuming its PCI).

HTH :)