PDA

View Full Version : What's in Your Tank?

cmiannay
09/20/2003, 08:51 PM
My husband and I are still researching before laying down the bucks for this new hobby! We are now looking at getting a 135 RR tank (started at 50 :lol: ). Anyway... I'm in charge of researching the fish, so I would really like to know what some of you have in your tanks of similar size. We are leaning toward a DSB non-aggressive reef community. Any input would be helpful!

Thanks ahead of time!

cmiannay
09/21/2003, 06:07 AM
Oooh, I forgot... I would also like to know how many inches of fish are in your tanks, and what you would recommend for our 135.

Thanks!

Sting
09/21/2003, 01:27 PM
Um...IMO, inches of fish rules are way to sketchy. I like to put together a nice stock list, and begin to reserach their compatabilities, requirements, and maximum sizes.

In my tank, a 37G, I plan to have:

Strawberry Basslet
Flame Hawkfish
Coral Beauty
Yellow Watchman Goby
POSSIBLY Green Mandarin
Neon Goby

My personal preference is to have a centerpiece fish, or a few biger fish, and then to have a lot of littler fish to create more of a reef ecosystem.

In your tank, you can look at a few of the smaller tangs, and possibly pick one or two (of different body shapes) to consider. Yellow or Purple Tangs are popular choices among people with smaller tanks on the larger scale. Foxface (Bicolor, Lo), Butterflyfish (Auriga, Latticed, Copperband, Heniochus, Racoon), or Anthias (Lyretail, Flasher, Fairy, Bartletts) are all possible choices for your centerpiece fish, all with different requirements and temperments- so you should research them out.

For small fish, your possibilities are endless! This is my favorite part! Look at wrasses (sixline), gobies(watchman, bar, hectors, neon, clown), pygmy angels (flame, coral beauty, cherub), hogfish (candy), chromis (green), cardinalfish (pyjama, bangaii), psuedochromis (fridmani), hawkfish (flame, longnose), basslets (royal gramma), blennies (scooter, algae) bass (chalk).

And, finally, you'd have to consider inverts! Cleaner Shrimp are a necessity (and just really cool), Turbo snails and Hermits to clean up, Starfish, Urchins, Crabs (icky icky crabs!) feather dusters...go to www.liveaquaria.com they have great information there!

Sting
09/21/2003, 01:29 PM
Oh, and I forgot clowns, everyone loves clowns! Skunk, cinnamon, standard percula or ocellaris, tomato, sebea, clarkii's or maroon are all options. I like cinnamons and skunks though.

JonL
09/21/2003, 01:29 PM
I've got a fire fish a jawfish and a pair of manderine dagonets in a 90, Im trying my best to hold of on any more fish.
It takes to much time to feed alot of fish and my tank is almost full as is.
Also my four fish take up almost the whole freakin tank.
Are you sure you don't want to go bigger?

cmiannay
09/21/2003, 02:02 PM
I moved this thread to the "new to the hobby" forum so I could get more responses. I'm continuing there...