PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Angelfish

denvig
09/20/2003, 05:55 PM
I am thinking of getting a Pygmy Angelfish for my 55 reef. I know that they are hit or miss as far as reef safe fish go so I am looking for opinions, experiences and recommendations. If you think it’s a bad idea that’s OK to. The angels I am considering are.

Cherub
Coral Beauty
Lemonpeel
Flame
Flameback

moe_k
09/20/2003, 06:24 PM
From what I've read, the most reef-safe are the coral beauty and the flame. But I've heard it's still a big chance. Everything may go well for years, then suddenly they start a-munchin' corals.

jciwlsn
09/20/2003, 06:55 PM
Have you thought of a bicolor angel? I have one and he's gorgeous. You name it he eats it (fish food), gets along great with the other fish (best buds with the female clown). The only thing he couldn't resist were the small zoos I just got (I never did get to see their color...... ), he didn't touch the bigger zoos though (???). Other than that, stays away from the shrooms, finger leather, GSP's, sponges, inverts.

tstone
09/20/2003, 09:40 PM
These guys are cool but I do not know whether thay are reef safe or not.

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/fish-invertebrates/images/fireb.jpg

The Fire Ball Angel
Centropyge acanthops

tstone
09/20/2003, 09:47 PM
Here is another that I like but again not sure of its reef compatibility

http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~rupasika/fish/angel/eibli.JPG

Eibli Angel
Centropyge eibli

one eye
09/20/2003, 09:48 PM
I think that pretty much all the dwarves are hit or miss, we hope they miss the polyps! I've been looking at filamented flasher wrasses. Beautiful fish on page 307 of Marine Fishes by Scott Michael. Says reef compatability is excellent and if kept in groups the male will perform colorful rituals:rolleyes: ...well I'd be performing some colorful rituals too if I was the only male in a group of....better shut up, Deb's been RCing at work :eek1:

moe_k
09/20/2003, 09:50 PM
Bicolors are'nt a good reef tank fish. They eat corals in the wild.

denvig
09/20/2003, 10:10 PM
Daren
Nice fish But it says that that the male will occasionally "flash" thier reflection. Just what kind of a fish is this.LOL

mikrok
09/20/2003, 11:12 PM
I've heard the golden pygmy angel is has a good record, but its a little reclusive, since its found in deeper water it sometimes doesnt do well in shallow reef tanks, possibly due to ill acclimation or bad decompression while capturing

mikrok
09/20/2003, 11:13 PM
i dont know if they have it anymore but Cape Maid Farms had a beautiful one in their large reef tank

creativesmurf
09/20/2003, 11:45 PM
I agree with Moe but I got a bicolor that was very young (a two day fedex miracle) and he seems happy being fed regular food and doesn't touch any of my softies, although I do catch him picking at the frogspawn once in a while. If you get a bicolor you have to be more committed to the fish than your corals which I am. Lucikly, mine leaves all the zoos alone :) :) :)

Heavydc2
09/21/2003, 08:23 AM
How about a potters, they like all the others can be nippers but I have a huge one that does nto touch anything.

http://www.chandev.com/reef/images/potters-07-15-03-1.jpg

tedh
09/21/2003, 10:52 AM
Heavydc2,

That Potters is really nice. The colors are amazing... must be dinner time! I have a coral beauty that turns almost black with a bright blue accent like yours. Mine has pretty much text book colors but really changes colors depending on mood.

I have to say that I have had my coral beauty for about 4-5 years and it's never given me any problems. I'll try and get a picture today after I mow the grass and post!

Good luck,

Ted

kastanzaman
09/21/2003, 11:49 AM
HeavyDC
Where did you get your potter's????
Thanks

denvig
09/21/2003, 10:47 PM
That is the best looking Potter I've seen. Very nice

Heavydc2
09/22/2003, 05:59 AM
I got that potters from a CT reefer who was sellling it to make room in his tank. Most places can order them, although they do not ship well so it would be a good thing to be able to watch it in the store for some time, make sure its eating and healthy. I have seen them at TI, Caip Made, little house of fins (greenwich ct). Its worth calling the places to find out.

matt-davis sq.
09/22/2003, 11:04 AM
I have had excellent success with my coral beauty *knocks on wood*,

Matt:cool: