PDA

View Full Version : fish deaths

scottdkk
09/19/2003, 07:05 PM
i have had problems keeping any fish alive more than a few days a while ago so i havent kept any fish for six weeks. now i tried a tank raised neon goby with no success. all corals and inverts are doing great. what could the problem be

The Aquarist
09/19/2003, 07:12 PM
How long has this tank been running?

How and how do you acclimate the fish?

What are you feeding them? If it's frozen, did it thaw and get refrozen?

Did all of these fish come from the same LFS?

jgoelz
09/19/2003, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear about that! Normally if it is a water quality problem your corals would show signs before the fish.

I also would like to know how you are acclimating the fish. Are you ordering the fish online and having them shipped to you , or are you getting them from the LFS?

How are the fish dying? Are they dying a slow death by deteriorating over the course of a few days. Or, are they just up and dead all of a sudden. Or, are they disappearing and you are finding their scavanged remains?

EdKruzel
09/19/2003, 08:53 PM
Acclimation would certainly be the first guess.

Can you also describe the systems setup and filtration?

Is the top of the water have good movement or appear placid?

Any details you can add will help to answer with better accuracy.

Ed

scottdkk
09/20/2003, 11:41 AM
the tank has lots of surface aggitation. the fish are from five diffrent sources. the tanks been running for a year. some die the first night some make it a week or two all appear to be breathing heavy if a fish can. acclimation could be it but i am going to get my water tested today by a store and post there #s cause mine might be off.

The Aquarist
09/20/2003, 12:27 PM
I know of three things that would cause the heavy breathing:

Low Oxygen
ich/velvet
toxins

Personally I suspect toxins of some kind because you seem to have enough oxygen exchange for the fish in question and you have not mentioned any ich/velvet outbreak. Have you noticed any of the little white spots or hazy areas?