PDA

View Full Version : Light for Macros in sump...new tank set up

Nocturnal
09/19/2003, 11:06 AM
I just moved into a new place and have reset up a FO tank. To help combat waste and algae I was thinking of putting some macros in the wet dry sump. I did research and found that chaetamorpha is supposed to be the best or one the best to use? Why is this?
How much light to they require and for how long? I figure about 10 hours while my main tank lights are off. Would I need more?
Thanks guys and gals!

Kevk
09/19/2003, 09:03 PM
The chaetamorpha looks like a brillo pad and does not need to be in a substrate to grow. The calpera can go into a reproductive phase, and turn into a mess. The biggest disadvantages of the Chaetamorpha are its appearence and it is not as appealing as food for tangs and rabbitfish. I leave the light in my sump/refugium 24/7. Some people run the lights when the tank lights are off.

Heavydc2
09/19/2003, 09:09 PM
I have a 10 gallon fuge and I have 2 65 watt grow lights in mine and the macro grows like mad

tedh
09/20/2003, 04:22 AM
I have 2 65w PC's (one 10K and one actinic). I grow chaetamorpha and red gracillaria (Tang Heaven). The red gracillaria needs the actinic. I had some caulerpa but let it slowly die and didn't think twice about it. The chaetamorpha is a great place for copepods and bristle worms to grow. I usually take a handful of the gracillaria for the tangs 1-2 times per week also.

Good luck!

Ted