PDA

View Full Version : Jewel Tang

sschafer
09/18/2003, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with a Jewel Tang (Acanthurus guttatus). I believe they are also called Mustard Tangs. I'm looking for a tang for my 120g reef and would like something a little different if possible.

Thanks,

Steve

joetbs
09/18/2003, 09:55 PM
They're supposedly pretty hardy. I saw one today at a LFS that was a monster of a fish. Why not spend the extra k and get a Gem Tang :D

sschafer
09/18/2003, 10:18 PM
Ha! I'd rather get another Bulldog! :D Gem tangs are gorgeous though . . . hmmmmm Gem tang and immediate death at the hands of my wife, or some much less expensive fish and just a punch in the arm . . . ;) How big was the Jewel tang you saw?

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by joetbs
They're supposedly pretty hardy. I saw one today at a LFS that was a monster of a fish. Why not spend the extra k and get a Gem Tang :D

joetbs
09/18/2003, 10:31 PM
About 5 1/2 inches. It was feeding time. Nailed a bunch of mysis/krill/brine. He was with some nasty fish.

joe

sschafer
09/19/2003, 07:50 PM
Well, I just happened across one today at a local shop :D:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/sschafer/Images/jewel_tang_2.jpg

-Steve

joetbs
09/20/2003, 09:46 AM
Nice fish. How much did it set you back? It's nice to happen into a store that has a fish you want.

sschafer
09/20/2003, 09:54 AM
He ran me $100, which I didn't think was that bad since Marine Center wants $250 for them. The lowest price I had seen before was $150. The shop I got it from is usually pretty good on pricing so I figured i'd just go for it.

-Steve

Originally posted by joetbs
Nice fish. How much did it set you back? It's nice to happen into a store that has a fish you want.

downset
09/21/2003, 07:42 PM
100 bucks nice grab man,what store did you find him at the reef shoppe or marine oasis,i know you didnt get him at cf

sschafer
09/21/2003, 08:00 PM
Marine Oasis. John tends to get things in the other shops don't. He is more willing to order something that says "spotted tang" (rather than scientific name or specific common name). The other shops get nice fish too, John is just less risk averse. He had some smokin Scott's Fairy Wrasses when I was there on Sunday.
If I didn't already have four wrasses in my tank I might have had to get on of those too.

-Steve

Originally posted by downset
100 bucks nice grab man,what store did you find him at the reef shoppe or marine oasis,i know you didnt get him at cf