PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Rare clown folk - chrysogaster

eco-tropic
09/18/2003, 02:25 PM
I have not verified this, but I thought I would pass it along to whomever is interested. I get lists now and again from various people. I can't help but look at these. Green Park Tropical Fish Farm - http://www.greenparktropical.com - out of Singapore is listing the following on their wholesale list:

635 BLUE CHRYSOGASTER - M AMPHIPRION CHRYSOGASTER 14.00 11.90 20.83
636 BLUE CHRYSOGASTER - L AMPHIPRION CHRYSOGASTER 16.00 13.60 23.80
637 BLUE CHRYSOGASTER - XL AMPHIPRION CHRYSOGASTER 20.50 17.43 30.49

I don't know if they have the incorrect name, but you never know. The price seems a bit high for chrysopterus. They list the Zanzibar Boxer Shrimp on the price list, so my guess is that the chrysogaster might be legitimate. They also list Amphiprion thiellei - JHardman!!! I would encourage you rare clowners to check these folks out as they do not have a minimum order. Best of Luck my friends.

Jeff

Tabizan
09/18/2003, 03:16 PM
Interesting , I was talking to a importer in the UK who said that theres a few dealers in Singapore bringing in fish from Mauritius , they could be one of them .
I've emailed them for a price of a box to London , they will be well travelled fish if they arrive ok.
Thanks for the info.

eco-tropic
09/18/2003, 04:05 PM
No problem. Best of luck!

kris4647
09/18/2003, 04:37 PM
I'm down, thanks Jeff. I'll email tonight.

Overboard
09/18/2003, 05:20 PM
Hey Eco or Kris,

Is there anything special about ordering from Singapore? Will it need to be done through a US importer? I may be interested, just need to know what to do.

Thanks,
Mark

kris4647
09/18/2003, 05:47 PM
We might be able to get together on this thing mark. I'll make contact with them and then shoot you a PM.

Overboard
09/18/2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks Kris.

JHardman
09/18/2003, 06:25 PM
You guys/gals can do the import yourselves as long as you are doing it for personal use, i.e. you are not selling what you are importing.

Where you might run into problems is the port of entry. On the west coast you will need to come into LAX or SFO and do all of your inspections there. If you can get a direct flight (unlikely) to another designated port that is closer to you it would be easier, but don't count on it... Also it is possible to get a port exception permit, but this can be a royal pain and expensive too.

Here is the link on ports...

http://www.le.fws.gov/Designated_Ports.htm

You will need to call the USFWS LE (law enforcement) office in advance of the shipment. The office that handles LAX is fine with a morning notice for an afternoon or evening shipment, YMMV.

Here is the form you will need to fill out...

http://www.le.fws.gov/pdffiles/3-177-1.pdf

I would recommend that if there is something you are not sure of how to fill in, wait and ask the LE office when you call them to schedule an inspection.

Also have the shipper include every piece of paper work you ever think that someone might want to see, like origin papers. Have them place them in one of those plastic invoice bags on the outside and another set in a water proof bag on the inside too.

Here is a good site that is a little old, but has a good description of the "process".

http://www.characin.com/carey/articles/index.html

I would strongly recommend that you spend some time on the USFWS website and to call and talk to an inspector BEFORE you place an order. The last thing you want is a box of fish sitting in an air cargo terminal dieing because you missed something.

http://www.le.fws.gov/

Overboard
09/18/2003, 06:34 PM
JHardman,

Thanks. This is something I always wanted to know.

I went on a dive trip to Palau and brought back some cultured clams ($5-10 each) from the facility on the islands. Brought them with me as luggage with a CITIES Permit from Palau (an extra $2). That was all I needed for that trip as it turns out, but I had an extremely hard time trying to find out info in advance. I finally found a lady in the Dallas office of USF&W that was a bg help.

The funny thing, no one wanted to check the permit in Guam, Honolulu or Houston. They did not even want to take the time to go get a USF&W official. Only in Honolulu did they even want to see what was in the box, and then only because I would not put it throught the X ray machine.

Thanks again.

Rare Angels
09/18/2003, 09:46 PM
I sent them an e-mail and they replied promptly. They did state that The airlines, depending on which, will have a minimum number of boxes you must have....anywhere from three to seven.

kris4647
09/18/2003, 10:14 PM
Problem, paperwork non-withstanding, is the order would have to be all clowns. Their other prices are high, relative to wholesale. The clowns are all listed Leuck's Theili and Chrysogaster. The latter seemingly more than all. At least three boxes with 30-50 clowns per box [their words] I wonder if even 10% would make it.

JHardman
09/18/2003, 10:28 PM
I would question them a bit further guys. Likely there is an airline that doesn't have a minimum box requirement, but frankly that sounds silly in the first place. Many domestic airlines have a minimum weight, but not a minimum container requirement. It doesn't make good sense to require someone to ship a minimum number of boxes when they can over charge you for less than a minimum weight, e.g. charge for a 100lbs minimum when your box is only 25lbs. Why turn away a customer just because they don't have enough freight, sounds more like the dealer wants more boxes sold... Caveat emptor...

kris4647
09/18/2003, 10:35 PM
John

The response we got looked pretty generic so I'll dig a little further. I'm not gettin my hopes up yet!

eco-tropic
09/19/2003, 12:42 AM
I think John is right. Why not charge me a minimum fee and keep the space on the aircraft for some other customer? I'd keep pestering these guys, find out if they have a retailer state side. Maybe a safer and easier bet?

eco-tropic
09/19/2003, 12:49 AM
Also get a pic from these people to verify the authenticity of chrysogaster. Make sure they aren't hocking the super, duper, Singapore clarkii clown as chrysogaster. Make sure the pic is authentic and not some copy out of the Burgess Atlas. Tell them you are a hatchery and that you'll be doing a ton of repeat business at a premium if they can get what you want. You can also lie a little further and tell them that you might be able to move a ton of fish for them if they get you what you want. God, I hate the Marine ornamental fish business.

Rare Angels
09/19/2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff.

Kris4647, Did you write to them with Jeff suggestions, if not I will go ahead and send one, it too many people contact them with the same theme they will probably figure it out.

kris4647
09/19/2003, 02:55 PM
Not yet. I'm waiting for their reply to my second mail. I'll definately follow up and post results here. If I read the latest stock list he sent me correctly, it shows only Chrysogaster no Leucko or Theili right now. I mailed him and asked him about the relative availability of the fish we are looking for.

Rare Angels
09/19/2003, 09:56 PM
Sounds good, please keep us posted.

kris4647
09/21/2003, 01:45 PM
Well no news isnt good news. I'll try the butter 'em up email Jeff suggested to try to get a response out of them................

MERCEDES
09/21/2003, 02:06 PM
I was wondering if I could tag along? I might be interested in another pair of clownfish. I have a pair of true perc's w/rbta now.Thanks!:rollface:

Dan
09/25/2003, 07:22 PM
I have one and would like to aquire some more, so if you folks are succesful at this, you could count on me for a few. Perhaps we can get that number up to a few boxes.

Dan

Dlckwood
09/25/2003, 07:38 PM
Count me in for two. That is if they ever respond.
DLCKWOOD:p

kris4647
09/27/2003, 01:22 AM
Well no response to an additional couple of emails. I think we are at a dead end here folks... Suggestions are welcome but, I dont think there is anything here.

EmersonAly
09/27/2003, 06:27 AM
I have heard back from greenpark several times. They require a 3 box buy to the United States. I have photos of several breeds of clownfish from them. The problem is he is moving them quickly. I am attempting to add his prices, plus the cost of shipping here (his setup for getting a full price of all this is complicated at best). But 3 boxes is a lot of fish. I can pick them up at the DC Airport, but the question is (assuming 1/2 survive the flight) thats still a lot of fish!

emerson

EmersonAly
09/27/2003, 06:29 AM
I have heard back from greenpark several times.

They require a 3 box buy to the United States. I have photos of several breeds of clownfish from them. The problem is he is moving them quickly.

I am attempting to add his prices, plus the cost of shipping here (his setup for getting a full price of all this is complicated at best).

But 3 boxes is a lot of fish. I can pick them up at the DC Airport, but the question is (assuming 1/2 survive the flight) (see I'm always optimistic!) thats still a lot of fish!

emerson

JHardman
09/27/2003, 11:47 AM
You folks might want to touch base with USFWS service in regards to the number of fish. If I remember right there is a limit of (12) fish maximum for the personal use exception.

If it turns out that you can not bring that many fish in under "personal" use, let me know.

kris4647
09/27/2003, 03:09 PM
After I posted last night at work, he had responded twice to my email acct at home. He gave me a contact on the East coast that imports for him. I'm going to try them next.

I dont think the import angle is for me. Just too much volume and hassle. If he has an importer/wholesaler in the states so much the better.

Kc189
09/27/2003, 06:30 PM
I might want some of these clowns as well if you guys find an importer.

Keith

Dustin
09/28/2003, 02:40 AM
Emersonaly,
I would love to see some of the pictures they sent you of those clowns. I am very doubtful that they actually have chrysogaster. Pricelists are more often than not wrong. I would love to be proven wrong though.

EmersonAly
09/28/2003, 05:55 AM
Dustin,

I'm sorry - I don't have pictures of the chrysogaster.
I requested two different pictures first. My original inquiry wasn't regarding this fish (I didn't originally see it on the list).

But if I receive a pic of this species, I will forward it to your email if you send it to me.

emerson