PDA

View Full Version : Candy Hog experiences

joetbs
09/17/2003, 09:35 PM
Anyone kept one of these in a reef? Are they invert safe? I have my eye on one at the LFS. From what I read they seem like a good candidate. Tank is 55g, need to update my profile. Only problem might be my sunrise dottyback, but I'm gonna take him out eventually(with lots of luck).

joe

rich99rich
09/17/2003, 09:51 PM
I have a Candy Hog in my 150g reef, and haven't experienced any problems with it picking at corals. Scott Michael's book also states that it is reef safe.

The problem I have experienced with it, however, is the fact that it is pretty aggressive towards other similar looking fish. I haven't added any new fish for awhile now because of it, and I am eventually going to try to catch it.

It is a very beautiful fish, however. Also very active, constantly swimming through the rockwork.

joetbs
09/17/2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I know it's coral safe, but do you have any problems with shrimp or snails being on its menu? I know some other hogs are notorious for eating mobile inverts.

joe

rich99rich
09/18/2003, 01:28 PM
I've kept a blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the tank with no problems. However, a group of about 6 peppermint shrimp vanished about 2 months after introduction, but I don't know if it was due to the hog.

joetbs
09/19/2003, 07:30 PM
OK, I got rid of my dottyback and got the hog. Real nice fish. Let's hope he comes back out of the rocks. Got a orange spotted goby and a zooanthid/hitchiker sps rock for trading in my sunrise. Too bad the LFS didn't have the hog to trade for, though it probably would've been $100.

joe