PDA

View Full Version : Mag Pump question

SupaJSK
09/17/2003, 03:20 PM
I currently have a MAG 18 pump in my sump and it puts a lot of flow into the tank and into the sump which is causing a lot of micro bubbles, even with baffles and sponges. I am considering making the flow in the sump a lot lower and using a closed loop for flow in the main tank.

I have a gate valve on the output of the Mag 18. If I were to throttle the pump back by 50% or more, would that do any damage to the pump?

Thanks.

z28pwr
09/17/2003, 03:36 PM
Wow 50% that's alot why don't you just sell the MAG 18 and get a MAG 12 (your electricity bill would appreciate it) if you don't need that much flow.

pan_tsu?
09/17/2003, 04:08 PM
Turn it down about 20% and throw a SCWD on your return, this would cut your output by a total of about 35%...Plus, you get the benefit of having a cheap wave maker/current redirection.

SupaJSK
09/17/2003, 04:22 PM
z28, thats my last resort if cutting back flow that much wont work. at this point, id rather just see if it works with my current pump than going to the trouble of doign that. luckily i have put unions on the pipe.

pan, tsu, actually its one main return line that goes up through the overflow box, so there is no way to throw on a SQWD.

dragon_slayer
09/17/2003, 04:29 PM
cutting the flow by 50% will cause a great deal of heat build up in the pump. with a mag 18 this heat is an issue allready and with the 50% cut even more so IMO. you will greatly shorten the life of the pump and add conciderable heat to the tank.

either run a bypass back to the sump or get a smaller pump.

kc

chewie
09/17/2003, 04:38 PM
I ran a mag 24 at 50% for about a year. It was too much for my sump too! I didn't notice any extra heat. I now use the pump on my skimmer and it has run flawlessly for about 6 months.