PDA

View Full Version : NYC Area LFS

NYCJodi
09/17/2003, 01:36 PM
Newbie here in NYC. I need to purchase all the equipment to start my reef tank, and am looking for a recommendation on a good LFS in the area. The one place I did find made my Boycott List as they tried to take me for a ride...so I'd like to get a recommendation from experienced reefers, if possible, on where to go.

TIA,

jodi

marine61
09/17/2003, 07:16 PM
Buy equipment online. You will save almost 50% on some items.
Use yahoo or google to search for what you want to buy. "www.drsfostersmith.com" and "www.marinedepot.com" are two that I use. There are others.
Good Luck
marine61

ttmitsu
09/17/2003, 08:10 PM
get anything you can from marine depot and custom aquatics i got a aqua c remora protien skimmer for $158 LFS wanted $3xx and custom sealife 48'' 4x65watt +moonlight for $210 LFS wanted $350. use LFS for salt and occasionaly livestock they will all take you for a ride. get live rock from tampabaysaltwater.com or harboraquatics.com i bought some from LFS and regret it

tonycigar
09/17/2003, 08:46 PM
If bklyn is not to far,there is one on Utica ave bet ave L and ave M called thousand island. Good prices on tank and stand. Custom makes every thing in store.Very friendly and knowledgeable.Ask for Eddie.

Smitty 750
09/17/2003, 09:13 PM
If CT is not too far check out House of Fins in Greenwich awesome store for reef enthusiasts. Also check out Reef and Fin in Stamford also a reef specialty store. Both are great stores and there is also a good store in Westport The Living Reef.

NYCJodi
09/18/2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks all!

tor101898
09/18/2003, 09:40 AM
check new store called aquarium adventure in carle place long island. you won't be disappointed.

connecticut cichlids
09/18/2003, 02:20 PM
i agree with smitty....House of Fins in Greenwich , is Slam'n baby!!!WOOHOO!

ez1ez
09/18/2003, 02:33 PM
There is a good one in manhattan w38th st. between 2nd and 3rd. You wont be disappointed. there is another good store on flatbush ave. in brooklyn. House of fins in greenwich are great and have good stuff but they are expensive. good luck..

Paul B
09/18/2003, 03:02 PM
A large store is Fish Town in Queens on Northern Blvd. and Francis Lewis Blvd. They have a large reef section. (I helped start their salt water tanks in about 1973)

NYCJodi
09/18/2003, 03:05 PM
That store on 38th between 2nd and 3rd is the one I'm boycotting. To set up a 55 gallon reef system, they quoted me $5,600 (without fish and corals). Seems from my preliminary research that there's a lotta padding in the quote, and I think they just assumed I was a sucker.

But maybe that quote is realistic. I'm still researching, and if anyone thinks it's the right ballpark please let me know. (I may need to rethink the whole venture!!)

Thanks for the Queens tip...that's easy to get to from where I'm at.

jodi

Paul B
09/18/2003, 03:15 PM
If Queens is easy, you should try Pet Barn on Franklin Ave. in Franklyn Square. It is about three miles outside the city limits. He is a friend of mine. Just tell him Paul with the Sea Horse Feeders sent you. It is dirtier than fish town but he also has been there for many years.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=243027

Paul B
09/18/2003, 03:25 PM
sorry, that hyperlink was a mistake.
It's this one.
http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm

yossarian
09/18/2003, 06:40 PM
If NJ isn't too far, there is a great store in Roselle Park (about 30 minutes outside of NYC). John at Underwater World. His livestock is unbeatable and unbelievably healthy. Prices are a little on the high side, but worth it.
For dry goods and a tank set-up, I'd suggest that you look used (right here on reefcentral.com or reefs.org or ebay.) Or internet mail order. Don't forget, in addition to the places mentioned in the other posts, bigalsonline.com -- great selection and prices.
By the way, $5600 sounds way too high to me.

jbjints
09/18/2003, 07:41 PM
$5,600 does sound rather high but just out of curiosity what was included in the quote?

yossarian
09/18/2003, 07:53 PM
Also, for new Oceanic equipment (good tanks, stands, sumps, etc.), I found that Hanover Pets in East Hanover, NJ has excellent prices. This store is also about 30 minutes outside of NYC.

marine61
09/19/2003, 12:16 AM
This will probably upset a few people here but petco on Old Country Road an Carle Place has very nice livestock. I haven't been too happy about the way most of them maintain their tanks but that one is pretty good.

marine61

tor101898
09/19/2003, 09:19 AM
with the exception of ct. i've been to most of the store mentioned and i can honestly say that they all have there good points. i would suggest that you get a couple of quotes on the tank itself and go with the one that you can transport to your home safely and at a good price. everything else can be obtained online at substantial discounts,when all is said and doneyou would have saved yourself a pretty penny,which you can then use on live stock.new world (38th and 3rd) is a bit pricey, however they had the best price on a 120gal oceanic rr tank which compared to other places i saved $215.00. good luck in your venture hope i've been some help. remember research is the key to save a little cash.

tor101898
09/19/2003, 09:22 AM
by the way since you're already in the neighborhood why not try the brooklyn aquarium society, they have great prices at their auctions and meetings.

ez1ez
09/19/2003, 09:44 AM
For a tank go to www.bargainnews.com Once there go to pet accessories, there are many tanks to choose from. I bought 2 tanks through here. Yossarian is correct... buy the tank locally and the rest online. It saved me thousands over time... What is on your list to buy? Goodluck

NYCJodi
09/19/2003, 09:53 AM
On my list to buy is a 55 gal RR tank, hood, sump, skimmer, light, power heads, heater, salt, LR, LS, RO/DI unit. I think that's the basics, right? The LFS I went to here also included (in addition to what I listed above) a pump ($100), wavemaker ($200), chiller ($900), power filter ($270) among other things I'm not sure I need, and the grand total was $5600.

FYI, this was New World on 38th Street.

His tank was $449 for 55 gal, and another $200 to make RR. So $650 for just the tank. I'm glad to hear from all thse replies that I can find cheaper.

yossarian
09/19/2003, 10:03 AM
If you go to the for sale forum here on reefcentral, someone in Queens is selling a complete 55 set up, no overflows, but lights, filters, rock, coral and fish.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243037

tor101898
09/19/2003, 10:09 AM
petsmart has a sale on salt mix. you can't beat that /no shipping and no weight charges.

tor101898
09/19/2003, 10:13 AM
just type in freeship

NYCJodi
09/19/2003, 10:18 AM
cool!

twinreef
09/19/2003, 12:15 PM
i paid $619.00 total for a 180g all-glass rr in petland, and 260 for the stand at a different lfs. New World on 38th Street is a rip off.

ez1ez
09/19/2003, 05:42 PM
Wow!!!5..thousand...that is expensive. 38th st always gave me a deal on livestock. Bargainnews.com has a 125g with skimmer,lights live rock and live sand for 700.00, You can buy a 55g with lights at walmart for 125. goodluck.

ttmitsu
09/19/2003, 07:27 PM
aquarium adventure in carles place has 75 gallon tanks for $75

mmgm
09/19/2003, 07:47 PM
The Reef Inc. located in Greenbrook New Jersey is the best store I have run into.

The owner (Bob) has been in the hobby for over 30 years and only sells the best equipment and livestock. The store opened up about 8 months ago and everyone from the hobby in this area knows of this place.

Bob also takes the time to educate newbies for ther purchases.....

ez1ez
09/20/2003, 10:51 AM
Does reef inc have a large selection of corals? What part of Jersey is it in. My territory is Toms River to Mahwah.

DgenR8
09/20/2003, 11:45 AM
Jodi,
If you live in NYC, you must know that everything is more expensive there, right down to McDonalds!
Venturing outside NYC limits will save you big bucks. If you are starting from the ground up, and don't want to go with used, you could try Les at Fishy Inc. He's in Bayshore, LI. I know it's quite a hike, but it couldn't hurt to give him a call @ (631) 665 7500. Tell him DgenR8 sent you, and I said he'd better treat you right!

yossarian
09/20/2003, 11:46 AM
Reef Inc is on Route 22 (west side of highway) in Greenbrook, NJ -- out near Warren and Bridgewater. MMGM is right -- that is a great shop. Bob carries all types of livestock and corals, and he's a nice guy and loves to help.

mmgm
09/20/2003, 01:27 PM
If Bob and The Reef Inc were not around I probably would have given up the hobby. He has reasonable prices. The amazing thing is he only caries and sells the best this hobby has to offer. This goes for equiptment and livestock. He also takes special orders if you don't see what you want in his store.

When I started the hobby I bought from Ocean Gallery 2 which is down the road from Bob. Ocean gallery sold me the wrong equiptment and livestock that died within a few days. They just don't care about satisfying customers and they had an attitude on top of everything. I spent $3000 on my tank and the owner (Gary) would not give me the time of day to answer questions. Also, the owners son should not be behind the counter dealing with customers. He actually chases people out of the store.

Just as I was ready to give up on the hobby I found Reef Inc. Check out my tank pictures in the gallery. All corals and livestock in my tank were purchased from Bob. He's a good guy that does not rip you off. He even came down to my house to check out my tank and help set up my refugium. Bob worked with me to correct all the equipment problems that Ocean Gallery sold me. If you are in the area the store is worth a visit.

yossarian
09/20/2003, 04:49 PM
Ditto for Pet Shanty, also down the road from Reefs Inc. in Scotch Plains, NJ. They absolutely stink. Horrible quality. Constant dead fish in their tanks. All the fish I ever bought them died within a couple of weeks (what was I thinking?). My faith in this hobby was saved when someone told me about Underwater World in Roselle Park.

ez1ez
09/20/2003, 08:24 PM
This is good to know. Reef inc. it is..I'll be there this week. I have to be in Kenilworth nj. this week.

mmgm
09/20/2003, 09:12 PM
I agree Pet Shanty is not a quality place to buy Live Stock. However, Pet Shanty guys are friendly and do the best they can for you......

For whatever it is worth I purchase clean up crews, some LR and occasional supplies from them.

Ed is cool but this is not a quality place for serious reefers. However, they are better than Ocean Gallery but do not come close to Reef Inc in quality.......

EZ1, Bob is usually not around during the week. His Girl friend runs the store during the day. You may want to call ahead of time and mention when you will be around so you can meet Bob and talk about specific things you need. Carol is nice, but does not have Bob's knowledge of the hobby.......

Let us know how you make out......

yossarian
09/21/2003, 07:16 AM
It might be a good idea for us New Jerseyites to post our experiences about NJ LFS. When I was starting out, I wish I had known that there were good stores and bad stores, and good advice and bad advice.

mmgm
09/21/2003, 07:33 AM
Good Idea.

Since it is your idea would you like to start the thread?

alixday
09/27/2003, 01:38 AM
Here is the skinny:

1000 Island (Brooklyn) has great live rock and are very friendly, they will build you a custom tank but be careful. Do not let Eddie or his twin brother or his mother Carol talk you into what you don't need. They can be pricey so stick to your guns and negotiate. They are best if you know what you want and know how much it should cost and how much you're willing to pay.

New World Aquarium (Brooklyn Flatbush Ave.) Will also build you a custom tank. Very friendly very experienced. Alan is great to deal with. Not as pricey as 1000 Island. Other than the tank stay away from other equipment too pricey.

Pet Shanty (stinks) 'Nough Said

Reef and Fin (Stamford) CT Great Store. Very experienced decent prices.

Country Critters (Medford Ave, Medford, NY) One of the best stores in the area.

Hidden Reef (Academy Road; PA) The best store that I have found. Great Prices, Great selection, Great people, Great live stock. Worth the Ride (Mail Order is also a possibility)

Mail Order
Drs. Foster Smith (www.drsfosterssmith.com)
Marine Depot (www.marinedepot.com)
Hidden Reef (www.thehiddenreef.com)

This should get you started.

As far as the price of 5Gs for a system (if you factor all the equipment at top of line quality I could see it) For instance if you get a 10K HQI German MH 48" Oak Canopy, your looking at 1G right there. Factor in a 1/4 HP Chiller for another $800. RO unit for $600. Look you can buy the Queen Mary but if you only have the need and the space for a 10 footer why buy a luxury liner? Bottom line its over kill and you will never truly get it to work right, assuming that's what they were pricing. For a 55 Gallon that way too much.

You can have a custom tank for less. Or you can get a perfecto or all glass tank for again less. Yes, Brand NEW.

NYCJodi
09/28/2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks alixday!! Great concise info!

smy168
09/28/2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ez1ez
There is a good one in manhattan w38th st. between 2nd and 3rd. You wont be disappointed. there is another good store on flatbush ave. in brooklyn. House of fins in greenwich are great and have good stuff but they are expensive. good luck..

Over Priced and not too friendly, I use to go there and spend WAY TOO much on fish corals and hardware. They are a ripoff and they know it! They are not to nice and don't believe in taking care of repeat customers.

I would rather give you money than have you make a terrible mistake and go to this store!

There are plenty of places that have better stuff, even Petco is better than New World!

Good Luck

kjs
09/30/2003, 11:21 PM
My plan is to get an all glass 40 gal breeder with their black pine stand. I'd like it drilled for overflow though. I'm planned on adding a sump.

I went to new world aquarium and they seemed very over priced (quoted $100 for the tank undrilled), and not esp. helpful.

I'm looking for a good place to buy a tank in the nyc area. I have a car so I can drive to pick it up. Any reccomendations?

Also is it easy to add a sump to a drilled tank later or should I start with the sump from the beginning?

thanks,
-kyri