PDA

View Full Version : Fish Selection Help!!

Brrit
09/17/2003, 10:03 AM
I'm running a 75 gal. reef with just softies at this time. The current fish includes your basic clownfish, royal gramma, and purple tang. I've got several shrimp (blood and cleaners).

Would like to add 5-6 fish over the next few months. Any suggestions on interesting/colorful fish that would mesh well in this tank?

Fish I'm thinking about....

Flame Angel (or other Dwarf)
Potters Angel (scared of their difficulty... any thoughts?)
Anthias (not sure which one)
Cardinal (maybe... tang might get 'em)
Longnose Flame Hawk
Another clown (have heard that you can and you can't have two in a tank)

Sorry... I know there are several questions here, but I'd love to benefit from your experiences on this one.

Thanks in advance...
-Bryan

Laura D
09/17/2003, 10:35 AM
As for the worry about the cardinal and the tang, I don't see a problem there. I have an enormous sailfin and I also raise banggai cardinal, I often have smaller cardinals in with my sailfin and hippo tang and they totally ignor each other. I think cardinals are great reef fish, and if you keep your eyes open sometimes you chance upon ususual specimens.

I would probably hold on the anthias. With the purple tang already in the tank, I wouldn't add one of these sensitive fish as a 75 is smallish for a purple tang OR anthias anyway, I would worry he would make the anthias too nervous.

Brrit
09/17/2003, 11:36 AM
Laura:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I was wondered about the size of the Anthias' size and all.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the cardinals though.

-Bryan

Peter Schmiedel
09/18/2003, 03:05 AM
Hi Laura,

first of all I would recommend to give your clown fish and the gramma a partner. If you add very small fish they will fast be a pair!

Anthias reqiure 2-5 times food a day as they are feeding on plankton and are always active swimmers. If you cna not ensure that, I woudl not recommend these species.

I would not mix Dwarf angels - rather get two of one species. Preferable a smaller species. But a pair of flame angel would fit nice.

Also the hwk fish is easy to keep and a good choice. Sometimes they jump and are keen on shrimps. I keep them as a pair!

Brrit
09/18/2003, 08:56 AM
Peter:

Thanks for responding!

You seem to be quite keen on pairs....LOL. They are more fun in pairs though aren't they. You know the gramma had a partner and he attacked him!?! How weired is that? That is why I didn't get another one.... Any thoughts?

Also, I didn't know you could keep pairs of Flame Angels... That would be fun.... Are you sure they'll do ok?

And lastly, if I got a partner for my clown... Would they share the same anemoe for their home or would I need a second one? I would think they would share, but the guy is pretty protective of his anemoe.

Thanks!

-Bryan

Peter Schmiedel
09/18/2003, 09:03 AM
Hi Bryan :)

No clue why the partner of gramma did not work ?? How long did they live together?

With the flame I am sure .. had them a long time and here in Europe we keep almost all Centropyge in pairs or groups. Maybe Europe is sexual more active then the US :D ROTFL

Clown's shall take the same anemon - if it is big enough. But you have to make sure that the new one is much !! smaller than the one you have. They might fight a little but it will stop soon.

Hope I can help - made enough mistakes in my earlier times

Brrit
09/18/2003, 09:10 AM
Thank you so much Peter!

Your suggestions are very encouraging for some interesting interaction within the tank!

And yes, you European's must be more sexual than the more prudish US folks....LOL.

Take care...